Lunar-synchronized reproductive activity in the pencil-streaked rabbitfish Siganus doliatus in the Chuuk Lagoon, Micronesia
- 138 Downloads
The annual reproductive and the lunar-related spawning cycles of the pencil-streaked rabbitfish Siganus doliatus collected from Chuuk Lagoon, Federated States of Micronesia, were examined histologically. Monthly collection of this species revealed that ovaries with developing oocytes containing yolk were observed from February to May and in August and September. Weekly collection of the fish showed that ovarian development and spawning after the first quarter moon were repeated during the reproductive season, suggesting that S. doliatus is a restricted lunar-synchronized spawner and releases gametes around the time of the first quarter moon.
Key wordsLunar cycle Micronesia Reproduction Siganus doliatus Spawning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alcala, AC 1979Ecological notes on rabbitfishes (Family Siganidae) and certain economically important marine animals in Southeastern Negros and environs, PhilippinesSilliman J26115133Google Scholar
- Bryan, PG, Madraisau, BB, McVey, JP 1975Hormone-induced and natural spawning of captive Siganus canaliculatus (Pisces: Siganidae) year roundMicronesica11199204Google Scholar
- Duray, MN 1990Biology and culture of siganidsAquaculture Department, Southeast Asian Fisheries Development CenterIloiloGoogle Scholar
- Hasse, JJ, Madraisau, BB, McVey, JP 1977Some aspects of the life history of Siganus canaliculatus Park (Pisces: Siganidae) in PalauMicronesica13297312Google Scholar
- Hoque, MM, Takemura, A, Takano, K 1998Annual change in oocyte development and serum vitellogenin level in the rabbitfish Siganus canaliculatus (Park) in Okinawa, Southern JapanFish Sci644451Google Scholar
- Rahman, MS, Takemura, A, Takano, K 2000aAnnual changes in ovarian histology, plasma steroid hormones and vitellogenin in the female golden rabbitfish, Siganus guttatusBull Mar Sci67729740Google Scholar
- Woodland, DJ 1983Zoogeography of the Siganidae (Pisces): an interpretation of distribution and richness patternsBull Mar Sci33713717Google Scholar
- Woodland, DJ 1990
Revision of the fish family Siganidae with descriptions of two new species and comments on distribution and biologyRandall, JE eds. Indo-Pacific fishes, vol 19Bernice Pauahi Bishop MuseumHonolulu1136Google Scholar