A new species of scabbardfish, Evoxymetopon macrophthalmus (Scombroidei: Trichiuridae), from Okinawa, Japan
- 86 Downloads
Evoxymetopon macrophthalmus sp. nov. is described on the basis of a single specimen collected off Okinawa Island, Ryukyu Islands, Japan. Among the two valid species of Evoxymetopon, the new species is more similar to E. poeyi in having the first dorsal-fin spine enormously large, compressed, and sword shaped. It differs from E. poeyi in having the upper profile of head uniformly convex without a prominent sagittal crest (vs. with a prominent sagittal crest), tip of first anal pterygiophore connected to the last rib in the anterior part, while the first hemal spine is long and connected to the posterior margin of pterygiophore bone plate (vs. connected to the first hemal spine only), a larger eye, 4.5 times in head length (vs. 5.5–5.9 times), 15 externally visible anal-fin soft rays (vs. 20), 9 upper gill rakers of the first arch (vs. 4–6), and 60 caudal vertebrae (vs. 64).
Key wordsScombroidei Trichiuridae New species Evoxymetopon Scabbardfish
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abe, T, Asai, M 1975Records of Evoxymetopon poeyi from JapanUO2513Google Scholar
- Eschmeyer, WN 1998Catalog of fishesCalifornia Academy of SciencesSan FranciscoGoogle Scholar
- Gago, FJ 1998Osteology and phylogeny of the cutlassfishes (Scombroidei: Trichiuridae)Contrib Sci (Los Angel)476179Google Scholar
- Gill, TN 1863Synopsis of the family Lepturoids, and description of a remarkable new generic typeProc Acad Nat Sci Phila1863224229Google Scholar
- Günther, A 1887Report of the deep-sea fishes collected by H.M.S. “Challenger” during the years 1873–76Rep Sci Res Voy HMS Challenger221268Google Scholar
- Hubbs, CL, Lagler, KF 1958Fishes of the Great Lakes regionBull Cranbrook Inst Sci261213Google Scholar
- Leviton, AE, Gibbs, RH,Jr, Heal, E, Dawson, CE 1985Standards in herpetology and ichthyology: Part I. Standard symbolic codes for institutional resource collections in herpetology and ichthyologyCopeia1985802832Google Scholar
- Nakamura, I 1982Evoxymetopon poeyi GüntherOkamura, OAmaoka, KMitani, F eds. Fishes of the Kyushu-Palau Ridge and Tosa Bay. The intensive research of unexploited fishery resources on continental slopes (in Japanese and English)Japan Fisheries Resource Conservation AssociationTokyo266267Google Scholar
- Nakamura, I, Parin, NV 1993FAO species catalogue, vol 15. Snake mackerels and cutlassfishes of the world (Families Gempylidae and Trichiuridae). An annotated and illustrated catalogue of the snake mackerels, snoeks, escolars, gemfishes, sackfishes, domine, oilfish, cutlassfishes, scabbardfishes, hairtails, and frostfishes known to dateFAORomeGoogle Scholar
- Rosenblatt, RH, Wilson, RR 1987Cutlassfishes of the genus Lepidopus (Trichiuridae), with two new eastern Pacific speciesJpn J Ichthyol33342351Google Scholar
- Tucker, DW 1956Studies on trichiuroid fishes. 3. A preliminary revision of the family TrichiuridaeBull Br Mus Nat Hist Zool473130pl 10Google Scholar