Parentage analyses of freshwater goby Rhinogobius sp. OR using microsatellite DNA markers and egg developmental stages of eggs in the nest
- 74 Downloads
Parentage analyses of the paternally caring goby Rhinogobius sp. OR were performed using microsatellite DNA markers and examination of developmental stages of eggs collected from five nests with parental males in the wild. Four of five nests had egg masses with eggs at the same developmental stages from single females. In one nest, the egg mass with eggs at three different developmental stages originated from four females, and eggs of whole developmental stages were observed within the egg mass of each female. This observation suggests that in this goby embryonic stage is an inaccurate indicator of the number of mates.
Key wordsEgg developmental stage Microsatellite DNA Nest spawner Parentage Rhinogobius
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Asahida, T, Kobayashi, T, Saitoh, K, Nakayama, I 1996Tissue preservation and total DNA extraction from fish stored at ambient temperature using buffers containing high concentration of ureaFish Sci62727730Google Scholar
- Balon, EK 1975Reproductive guilds of fishes: a proposal and definitionJ Fish Res Board Can32821864Google Scholar
- DeWoody JA, Fletcher DE, Wilkins SD, Avise JC (2000) Parentage and nest guarding in the tessellated darter (Etheostoma olmstedi) assayed by microsatellite markers (Perciformes: Percidae). Copeia 2000:740–747Google Scholar
- Ito, S, Yanagisawa, Y 2000Mate choice and cannibalism in a natural population of a stream goby, Rhinogobius spIchthyol Res475158Google Scholar
- Kawanabe, H, Mizuno, N, Hosoya, K 2001
RhinogobiusKawanabe, HMizuno, NHosoya, K eds. Freshwater fishes of Japan, 3rd edn (in Japanese)Yama-KeiTokyo584Google Scholar
- Kellogg, KA, Markert, JA, Stauffer, JR, Kocher, TD 1998Intraspecific brood mixing and reduced polyandry in a maternal mouth-brooding cichlidBehav Ecol9309312Google Scholar
- Mizuno, N 1960Study on a freshwater goby, Rhinogobius similis Gill, with a proposition on the relationships between land-locking and speciation of some freshwater gobies in JapanMem Coll Sci Univ Kyoto Ser B2797115Google Scholar
- Sakai, H, Yasuda, F 1978Development of eggs and larvae of the freshwater goby, Rhinogobius brunneusJpn J Ichthyol2592100Google Scholar
- Takahashi, D 2000Conventional sex role in an amphidromous Rhinogobius goby in which females exhibit nuptial colorationIchthyol Res47303306Google Scholar
- Thresher, RE 1984Reproduction in reef fishesTFH PublicationsNeptune, NJGoogle Scholar