Engyprosopon marquisensis, a new species of bothid flounder (Pleuronectiformes: Bothidae) from the Marquesas Islands (French Polynesia)
- 52 Downloads
A new bothid flounder, Engyprosopon marquisensis, is described from 11 specimens collected in deep waters (108–408 m) off the Marquesas Islands (French Polynesia) during the French exploratory cruise MUSORSTOM 9 in 1997. Engyprosopon marquisensis is similar to E. bellonaensis from the Chesterfield Islands and Bellona Plateau in the Coral Sea and E. vanuatuensis from off Vanuatsu Island, but is easily distinguished from E. bellonaensis by the following combination of characters: narrow interorbital space in both sexes, small mouth, short caudal fin, large number of vertebrae, and fewer gill rakers. It differs from E. vanuatuensis by many scales in the lateral line, small eyes, short ocular-side upper jaw, and short blind-side lower jaw. Engyprosopon marquisensis is the deepest occurring (408 m) species of the genus, and constitutes the second species of this genus with an eastern distribution.
Key wordsEngyprosopon marquisensis New species Bothidae Marquesas Islands
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Amaoka, K 1969Studies on the sinistral flounders found in the waters around Japan: Taxonomy, anatomy and phylogenyJ Shimonoseki Univ Fish1865340Google Scholar
- Amaoka, K, Imamura, H 1990Two new and one rare species of bothid flounders from Saya de Malha Bank, Indian Ocean (Teleostei: Pleuronectiformes)Copeia199010111019Google Scholar
- Amaoka, K, Mihara, E 1995A new species of the genus Engyprosopon from New Zealand (Pleuronectiformes: Bothidae)NZ J Mar Freshw Res295157Google Scholar
- Amaoka, K, Mihara, E, Rivaton, J 1993Pisces Pleuronectiformes: flatfishes from the waters around New Caledonia. A revision of the genus Engyprosopon. Rsultats des Campagnes MUSORSTOM, vol 11Mém Mus natn Hist nat Paris158377426Google Scholar
- Hensley, D, Amaoka, K 2001Bothidae. Lefteye floundersCarpenter, KENiem, VH eds. The living marine resources of the Western Central Pacific, vol 6FAORome37993841Google Scholar
- Hensley, D, Suzumoto, AY 1990Bothids of Easter Island, with the description of a new species of Engyprosopon (Teleostei: Pleuronectiformes)Copeia1990130137Google Scholar
- Hubbs, CL 1915Flounders and soles from Japan collected by the United States Bureau of Fisheries Steamer Albatross in 1906Proc U S Natl Mus48449496Google Scholar
- Hubbs, CL, Lagler, KF 1958Fishes of the Great Lake regionBull Cranbrook Inst Sci26ixi+ 1–213, pls 1–44Google Scholar
- Norman, JR 1934A systematic monograph of the flatfishes (Heterosomata). 1. Psettodidae, Bothidae, PleuronectidaeBritish MuseumLondonGoogle Scholar
- Roberts, CD 1993Comparative morphology of spined scales and their phylogenetic significance in the TeleosteiBull Mar Sci5260113Google Scholar