Representation Theoretic Patterns in Three-Dimensional Cryo-Electron Microscopy II—The Class Averaging Problem
In this paper we study the formal algebraic structure underlying the intrinsic classification algorithm, recently introduced in Singer et al. (SIAM J. Imaging Sci. 2011, accepted), for classifying noisy projection images of similar viewing directions in three-dimensional cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM). This preliminary classification is of fundamental importance in determining the three-dimensional structure of macromolecules from cryo-EM images. Inspecting this algebraic structure we obtain a conceptual explanation for the admissibility (correctness) of the algorithm and a proof of its numerical stability. The proof relies on studying the spectral properties of an integral operator of geometric origin on the two-dimensional sphere, called the localized parallel transport operator. Along the way, we continue to develop the representation theoretic set-up for three-dimensional cryo-EM that was initiated in Hadani and Singer (Ann. Math. 2010, accepted).
KeywordsRepresentation theory Differential geometry Spectral theory Optimization theory Mathematical biology 3D cryo-electron microscopy
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)20G05
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.R. Hadani, A. Singer, Representation theoretic patterns in three-dimensional cryo-electron macroscopy I—The Intrinsic reconstitution algorithm, Ann. Math. (2010, accepted). A PDF version can be downloaded from http://www.math.utexas.edu/~hadani.
- 7.A. Singer, Y. Shkolnisky, Three-dimensional structure determination from common lines in cryo-EM by eigenvectors and semidefinite programming, SIAM J. Imaging Sci. (2011, accepted). Google Scholar
- 8.A. Singer, Z. Zhao, Y. Shkolnisky, R. Hadani, Viewing angle classification of cryo-electron microscopy images using eigenvectors, SIAM J. Imaging Sci. (2011, accepted). A PDF version can be downloaded from http://www.math.utexas.edu/~hadani.
- 9.G. Szegö, Orthogonal Polynomials. Colloquium Publications, vol. XXIII (American Mathematical Society, Providence, 1939). Google Scholar
- 11.B. Vainshtein, A. Goncharov, Determination of the spatial orientation of arbitrarily arranged identical particles of an unknown structure from their projections, in Proc. 11th Intern. Congr. on Elec. Mirco (1986), pp. 459–460. Google Scholar
- 13.L. Wang, F.J. Sigworth, Cryo-EM and single particles, Plant Physiol. 21, 8–13 (2006). Review. PMID: 16443818 [PubMed—indexed for MEDLINE]. Google Scholar