Uniform Uncertainty Principle and Signal Recovery via Regularized Orthogonal Matching Pursuit
This paper seeks to bridge the two major algorithmic approaches to sparse signal recovery from an incomplete set of linear measurements—L1-minimization methods and iterative methods (Matching Pursuits). We find a simple regularized version of Orthogonal Matching Pursuit (ROMP) which has advantages of both approaches: the speed and transparency of OMP and the strong uniform guarantees of L1-minimization. Our algorithm, ROMP, reconstructs a sparse signal in a number of iterations linear in the sparsity, and the reconstruction is exact provided the linear measurements satisfy the uniform uncertainty principle.
KeywordsSignal recovery algorithms Restricted isometry condition Uncertainty principle Basis pursuit Compressed sensing Orthogonal matching pursuit Signal recovery Sparse approximation
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)68W20 65T50 41A46
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Candès, Compressive sampling, in Proceedings of International Congress of Mathematics, vol. 3, Madrid, Spain, 2006, pp. 1433–1452. Google Scholar
- 5.A. Cohen, W. Dahmen, R. DeVore, Compressed sensing and k-term approximation, Manuscript (2007). Google Scholar
- 6.Compressed sensing, webpage, http://www.dsp.ece.rice.edu/cs/.
- 11.A. Gilbert, S. Muthukrishnan, M. Strauss, Approximation of functions over redundant dictionaries using coherence, in The 14th Annual ACM–SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (2003). Google Scholar
- 12.A. Gilbert, M. Strauss, J. Tropp, R. Vershynin, Algorithmic linear dimension reduction in the L1 norm for sparse vectors, submitted. Conference version, in Algorithmic Linear Dimension Reduction in the L 1 Norm for Sparse Vectors, Allerton, 2006. 44th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing. Google Scholar
- 13.A. Gilbert, M. Strauss, J. Tropp, R. Vershynin, One sketch for all: fast algorithms for compressed sensing, in STOC 2007. 39th ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, San Diego, 2007, to appear. Google Scholar
- 14.Y. Lyubarskii, R. Vershynin, Uncertainty principles and vector quantization, submitted. Google Scholar
- 15.S. Mendelson, A. Pajor, N. Tomczak-Jaegermann, Uniform uncertainty principle for Bernoulli and subgaussian ensembles, Constr. Approx., submitted. Google Scholar
- 16.H. Rauhut, On the impossibility of uniform recovery using greedy methods, in Sample Theory Signal Image Process., to appear. Google Scholar
- 17.M. Rudelson, R. Vershynin, On sparse reconstruction from Fourier and Gaussian measurements, Commun. Pure Appl. Math., to appear. Conference version in CISS 2006. 40th Annual Conference on Information Sciences and Systems, Princeton. Google Scholar
- 21.R. Vershynin, Beyond Hirsch Conjecture: walks on random polytopes and smoothed complexity of the simplex method, submitted. Conference version in FOCS 2006. 47th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, Berkeley, pp. 133–142. Google Scholar