Managing for efficiency in health care: the case of Greek public hospitals
- 721 Downloads
This paper evaluates the efficiency of public hospitals with two alternative conceptual models. One model targets resource usage directly to assess production efficiency, while the other model incorporates financial results to assess economic efficiency. Performance analysis of these models was conducted in two stages. In stage one, we utilized data envelopment analysis to obtain the efficiency score of each hospital, while in stage two we took into account the influence of the operational environment on efficiency by regressing those scores on explanatory variables that concern the performance of hospital services. We applied these methods to evaluate 96 general hospitals in the Greek national health system. The results indicate that, although the average efficiency scores in both models have remained relatively stable compared to past assessments, internal changes in hospital performances do exist. This study provides a clear framework for policy implications to increase the overall efficiency of general hospitals.
KeywordsHospital Efficiency Bootstrap DEA Truncated regression
JEL ClassificationC14 C51 I12 I18
This research is implemented within the framework of the Action «Supporting Postdoctoral Researchers» of the Operational Program "Education and Lifelong Learning" (Action’s Beneficiary: General Secretariat for Research and Technology), and is co-financed by the European Social Fund (ESF) and the Greek State.
- 1.OECD: OECD health data 2012. Paris, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. http://www.oecd.org/health/healthpoliciesanddata/oecdhealthdata2012.htm. (2012)
- 6.Coelli, T., Prasada, R., Battese, G.: An introduction to efficiency and productivity analysis. Kluwer, Boston (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Tiemann, O., Schreyögg, J.: Effects of ownership on hospital efficiency in Germany. BuR Bus. Res. 2(2), 115–145 (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Gounaris C: Management and quality of health care services (in Greek). PhD thesis, Department of Management Science and Technology of the Economic University of Athens (2006)Google Scholar
- 18.Maniadakis N, Kyriopoulos J: Measuring the efficiency of the health care units operating in Greek NHS. Internal report (in Greek), National School of Public Health (2011)Google Scholar
- 21.Shephard, R.: Theory of cost and production function. Princeton University Press, Princeton (1970)Google Scholar
- 24.Ozcan Y: Health care benchmarking and performance evaluation: an assessment using data envelopment analysis. International Series in Operations Research & Management Science, Springer (2008)Google Scholar
- 28.OECD: Average length of stay in hospitals. OECD/European Union, Health at a Glance: Europe 2010, OECD Publishing (2010)Google Scholar
- 34.Economou C: Health systems in transition: Greece. Health system review. WHO/EURO, European observatory on health systems and policies, Copenhagen (2010)Google Scholar