Advertisement

The European Journal of Health Economics

, Volume 8, Issue 1, pp 77–82 | Cite as

A public–private analysis of the new Dutch health insurance system

  • Hans Maarse
  • Yvette Bartholomée
Original paper

Introduction

The 1 January 2006 will go down in history as a date that marked a significant change in Dutch health insurance. After many years of political debate and several failed attempts to implement a major reform—lastly in the early 1990s—the government mobilised a parliamentary majority for its plan to implement a fundamental reconstruction of health insurance [1]. The new legislation (Zorgverzekeringswet) puts an end to the traditional dividing line between the statutory sickness fund scheme (Ziekenfondswet) that covered about 63% of the population and private health insurance, covering the remaining 37%. A single mandatory scheme covering the entire population replaces the dual arrangement that has been a characteristic element of health care financing in the Netherlands since the Second World War [2].

A second cornerstone of the new health insurance system is the extension of market competition. Health insurers—which may operate on a for-profit basis—should compete on...

Keywords

Private Health Insurance Market Competition Health Insurer Health Insurance Scheme Health Care Financing 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.

References

  1. 1.
    Helderman, J., Schut, F., van der Grinten, T., van de Ven, W.: Market oriented health care reforms and policy learning in the Netherlands. J. Health Polit. Law 30(1–2), 189–209 (2005)Google Scholar
  2. 2.
    Okma, K.: Health Care, Health Politics and Health Care Reforms in the Netherlands. Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sports, The Hague (2004)Google Scholar
  3. 3.
    Maarse, J., ter Meulen, R.: Consumer choice in Dutch health insurance after reform. Health Care Anal. 14(1):37–49 (2006)Google Scholar
  4. 4.
    Vektis.: Verzekerdenmobiliteit en keuzegedrag: de feiten over de effecten na invoering van de basisverzekering. Driebergen/Zeist (2006)Google Scholar
  5. 5.
    Saltman, R., Busse, R., Figueras, J. (eds): Social health insurance systems in Western Europe. The Open University Press, Maidenhead (2004)Google Scholar
  6. 6.
    Maarse, J., Paulus A.: Has solidarity survived? A comparative analysis of the effect of social health insurance reform in four European countries. J. Health Polit. Policy Law 28(4), 585–614 (2003)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  7. 7.
    Colombo, F., Tapay N.: Private health insurance in OECD countries: the benefits and costs for individuals and health systems. OECD (OECD Health Working Papers, no. 15), Paris (2004)Google Scholar
  8. 8.
    Mossialos, E., Thomson, S.: Voluntary health insurance in the European Union. European Observatory on Health Care Systems, Brussels (2004)Google Scholar
  9. 9.
    Palm, W.: Voluntary health insurance and EU insurance directives: between solidarity and the market. In: McKee M., Mossialos E., Baeten R. (eds) The Impact of EU Law on Health care Systems, pp. 195–234. P.I.E. Peter Lang, Brussel (2002)Google Scholar
  10. 10.
    Maarse, J., Okma, K.: The privatisation paradox in Dutch health care. In: Maarse, J. (ed.) The Privatisation of European Health Care, pp. 97–116. Elsevier Gezondheidszorg, Maarssen (2004)Google Scholar
  11. 11.
    Centraal Planbureau: Centraal Economisch Plan 2005, The Hague (2005)Google Scholar
  12. 12.
    De Jong, N, Delnoij, D., Groenewegen, P.: Mensen kiezen voor zekerheid in het nieuwe stelsel. Nivel, Utrecht (fact sheet; www.nivel.nl) (2006)Google Scholar
  13. 13.
    Ter, Meulen, R., Arts, W., Muffels, R. (eds): Solidarity in health and social care in Europe. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2001)Google Scholar
  14. 14.
    Hansen, J., Arts, W., Muffels, R.: Solidair tegen (w)elke prijs? Een quasi-experimenteel onderzoek naar de voorkeuren van Nederlanders voor ruimere of beperktere pakketen in de zorgverzekering. Sociale Wetenschappen 48(1/2), 61–84 (2005)Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag 2006

Authors and Affiliations

  1. 1.Faculty of Health SciencesUniversity of MaastrichtMaastrichtThe Netherlands

Personalised recommendations