Journal of Orthopaedics and Traumatology

, Volume 5, Issue 3, pp 165–171

CFP prosthetic stem in mini-invasive total hip arthroplasty

  • F. Pipino
ORIGINAL

DOI: 10.1007/s10195-004-0065-2

Cite this article as:
Pipino, F. J Orthopaed Traumatol (2004) 5: 165. doi:10.1007/s10195-004-0065-2

Abstract

Mini-invasive surgery preserves soft tissues and bone as much as possible, in order to minimize surgical trauma and blood loss, and hasten functional recovery. Hip replacement carried out with the CFP prosthetic stem (Waldemar Link, Hamburg, Germany) allows preservation of the femoral neck; furthermore, the implantation can be performed mini-invasively through a small incision. This paper reports the short- and mid-term results of 331 patients (353 implants) who received the cementless CFP stem over a 7-year period. Good or excellent clinical results were obtained in 96.6% of patients, as judged by the Harris hip score at last evaluation. Thigh pain was experienced in the first postoperative year in only 2% of cases. Many patients have taken up amateur sports. Complete integration of the prosthesis occurred in 99% of cases. Radiographic evaluation revealed that bone remodeling was good in 90% of cases; the stress distribution tended to be through the mid-lower third of the stem and toward the lateral cortical bone in the remaining 10%. Stress shielding was infrequent. The results confirm the good performance of the pressfit hemispherical cup and the validity of the biequatorial design.

Key words

Arthroplasty CFP Hip Mini-invasive surgery 

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag Italia 2004

Authors and Affiliations

  • F. Pipino
    • 1
  1. 1.Department of Orthopaedics and TraumatologyPoliclinico of MonzaMonza (MI)Italy

Personalised recommendations