A modified generalized lasso algorithm to detect local spatial clusters for count data
- 202 Downloads
Detecting local spatial clusters for count data is an important task in spatial epidemiology. Two broad approaches—moving window and disease mapping methods—have been suggested in some of the literature to find clusters. However, the existing methods employ somewhat arbitrarily chosen tuning parameters, and the local clustering results are sensitive to the choices. In this paper, we propose a penalized likelihood method to overcome the limitations of existing local spatial clustering approaches for count data. We start with a Poisson regression model to accommodate any type of covariates, and formulate the clustering problem as a penalized likelihood estimation problem to find change points of intercepts in two-dimensional space. The cost of developing a new algorithm is minimized by modifying an existing least absolute shrinkage and selection operator algorithm. The computational details on the modifications are shown, and the proposed method is illustrated with Seoul tuberculosis data.
KeywordsSpatial clustering Penalized likelihood Generalized LASSO Poisson regression
This research was supported by INHA UNIVERSITY Research Grant.
- Amin, R., Bohnert, A., Holmes, L., Rajasekaran, A., Assanasen, C.: Epidemiologic mapping of Florida childhood cancer clusters. Pediatr. Blood Cancer 54, 511–518 (2010)Google Scholar
- Lopez de Fede, A., Stewart, J., Harris, M., Mayfield-Smith, K.: Tuberculosis in socio-economically deprived neighborhoods: missed opportunities for prevention. Int. J. Tuberc. Lung Dis. 12, 1425–1430 (2008)Google Scholar
- McLennan, D., Barnes, H., Noble, M., Davies, J., Garratt, E.: The English Indices of Deprivation 2010, pp. 13–14. Department for Communities and Local Government, London (2011)Google Scholar
- Ngui, A.N., Apparicio, P., Fleury, M.J., Lesage, A., Grgoire, J.P., Moisan, J., Vanasse, A.: Spatio-temporal clustering of the incidence of Schizophrenia in Quebec, Canada from 2004 to 2007. Spat. Spat. Tempor. Epidemiol. (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sste.2013.05.003
- Ollier, E., Viallon, V.: Regression modeling on stratified data with the lasso. (2016). arXiv:1508.05476v2