Development and validation of a nomogram containing the prognostic determinants of chondrosarcoma based on the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results database
- 98 Downloads
We aimed to develop and validate a reliable nomogram for predicting the disease-specific survival (DSS) of chondrosarcoma patients.
The Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) database was queried from 2004 to 2015 to identify cases of histologically confirmed chondrosarcoma. Multivariate Cox regression analysis was performed to identify independent prognostic factors and construct a nomogram for predicting the 3- and 5-year DSS rates. Predictive values were compared between the new model and the American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) staging system using concordance indexes (C-indexes), calibration plots, integrated discrimination improvement (IDI), net reclassification improvement (NRI), and decision curve analysis (DCA).
Multivariate Cox regression identified 1180 patients, who were used to establish a nomogram based on a new model containing the predictive variables of age, socioeconomic status, tumor size, surgery status, chemotherapy status, and AJCC staging. In the nomogram, age at diagnosis is the factor with the highest risk, followed by AJCC stage IV and tumor size > 100 mm. Both the C-index and the calibration plots demonstrated the good performance of the nomogram. Moreover, both NRI and IDI were improved compared to the AJCC staging system, and also DCA demonstrated that the nomogram is clinically useful.
We have developed a reliable nomogram for determining the prognosis and treatment outcomes of chondrosarcoma patients that is superior to the traditional AJCC staging system.
KeywordsNomogram Chondrosarcoma Survival SEER
This study was funded by National Social Science Foundation of China (No. 16BGL183), and the Research Fund of Health Bureau of Xi’an (No. QFO1330).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
No financial interests are to be disclosed by the authors.
- 3.Giuffrida AY, Burgueno JE, Koniaris LG, et al.: Chondrosarcoma in the United States (1973–2003): an analysis of 2890 cases from the SEER database. J Bone Jt Surg Am Vol 91(5), 1063–1072. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.H.00416.Google Scholar
- 8.Pu N, Li J, Xu Y et al (2018) Comparison of prognostic prediction between nomogram based on lymph node ratio and AJCC 8th staging system for patients with resected pancreatic head carcinoma: a SEER analysis. Cancer Manag Res 10:227–238. https://doi.org/10.2147/CMAR.S157940 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.Kang JS, Lee S, Son D et al (2018) Prognostic predictability of the new American Joint Committee on Cancer 8th staging system for distal bile duct cancer: limited usefulness compared with the 7th staging system. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci 25(2):124–130. https://doi.org/10.1002/jhbp.520 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Arshi A, Sharim J, Park DY, et al. (2017) Chondrosarcoma of the Osseous spine: an analysis of epidemiology, patient outcomes, and prognostic factors using the SEER Registry from 1973 to 2012. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 42(9): 644–652. doi:10.1097/BRS.0000000000001870.Google Scholar
- 14.Song K, Song J, Shi X, et al. (2018) Development and validation of nomograms predicting overall and cancer-specific survival of spinal chondrosarcoma patients. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 43(21): E1281–E1289. doi:10.1097/BRS.0000000000002688.Google Scholar
- 20.Cook NR (2008) Comments on 'Evaluating the added predictive ability of a new marker: From area under the ROC curve to reclassification and beyond' by M. J. Pencina et al., Statistics in Medicine (DOI: 10.1002/sim.2929) . Stat Med 27(2):191–195. https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.2987 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 32.Asuncion Esteve-Pastor M, Miguel Rivera-Caravaca J, Roldan V et al (2017) Long-term bleeding risk prediction in 'real world' patients with atrial fibrillation: comparison of the HAS-BLED and ABC-Bleeding risk scores. Thromb Haemost 117(10):1848–1858. https://doi.org/10.1160/TH17-07-0478 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Esteve-Pastor MA, Rivera-Caravaca JM, Roldan V et al (2017) Long-term bleeding risk prediction in 'real world' patients with atrial fibrillation: comparison of the HAS-BLED and ABC-Bleeding risk scores. The Murcia atrial fibrillation project. Thromb Haemost 117(10):1848–1858. https://doi.org/10.1160/TH17-07-0478 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.Rodrigues G, Gonzalez-Maldonado S, Bauman G et al (2013) A statistical comparison of prognostic index systems for brain metastases after stereotactic radiosurgery or fractionated stereotactic radiation therapy. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 25(4):227–235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clon.2012.11.006 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 38.Zeng X, Zhang Y, Kwong JS et al (2015) The methodological quality assessment tools for preclinical and clinical studies, systematic review and meta-analysis, and clinical practice guideline: a systematic review. Journal of evidence-based medicine 8(1):2–10. https://doi.org/10.1111/jebm.12141 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar