Genome-wide identification and characterization of long non-coding RNAs during differentiation of visceral preadipocytes in rabbit
Emerging evidence suggests that long non-coding RNAs (lncRNAs) are critical regulators of diverse biological processes, including adipogenesis. Despite being considered an ideal animal model for studying adipogenesis, little is known about the roles of lncRNAs in the regulation of rabbit preadipocyte differentiation. In the present study, visceral preadipocytes isolated from newborn rabbits were cultured in vitro and induced for differentiation, and global lncRNA expression profiles of adipocytes collected at days 0, 3, and 9 of differentiation were analyzed by RNA-seq. A total of 2066 lncRNAs were identified from nine RNA-seq libraries. Compared to protein-coding transcripts, lncRNA transcripts exhibited characteristics of a longer length and lower expression level. Furthermore, 486 and 357 differentially expressed (DE) lncRNAs were identified when comparing day 3 vs. day 0 and day 9 vs. day 3, respectively. Target genes of DE lncRNAs were predicted by the cis-regulating approach. Prediction of functions revealed that DE lncRNAs when comparing day 3 vs. day 0 were involved in gene ontology (GO) terms of developmental growth, growth, developmental cell growth, and stem cell proliferation, and involved in Kyoto Encyclopedia of Genes and Genomes (KEGG) pathways of PI3K-Akt signaling pathway, fatty acid biosynthesis, and the insulin signaling pathway. The DE lncRNAs when comparing day 9 vs. day 3 were involved in GO terms that associated with epigenetic modification and were involved in the KEGG pathway of cAMP signaling pathway. This study provides further insight into the regulatory function of lncRNAs in rabbit visceral adipose and facilitates a better understanding of different stages of preadipocyte differentiation.
KeywordsBioinformatics Lipid Rabbit preadipocytes RNA-seq
Conceptualization: Song-Jia Lai.
Formal analysis: Kun Du, Guo-Ze Wang.
Resource: An-yong Ren, Ming-cheng Cai, Gang Luo, Xian-bo Jia, Shen-qiang Hu, Jie Wang, Shi-Yi Chen, Song-Jia Lai.
Writing: Kun Du.
This work was supported by the earmarked fund for China Agriculture Research System (CARS-44-A-2).
- Bakhtiarizadeh MR, Salami SA (2019) Identification and expression analysis of long noncoding RNAs in fat-tail of sheep breeds. G3 (Bethesda) 9:1263–1276Google Scholar
- Billert M, Wojciechowicz T, Jasaszwili M, Szczepankiewicz D, Wasko J, Kazmierczak S, Strowski MZ, Nowak KW, Skrzypski M (2018) Phoenixin-14 stimulates differentiation of 3T3-L1 preadipocytes via cAMP/Epac-dependent mechanism. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Biol Lipids 1863:1449–1457PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Desando G, Cavallo C, Sartoni F, Martini L, Parrilli A, Veronesi F, Fini M, Giardino R, Facchini A, Grigolo B (2013) Intra-articular delivery of adipose derived stromal cells attenuates osteoarthritis progression in an experimental rabbit model. Arthritis Res Ther 15:R22PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fox CS, Massaro JM, Hoffmann U, Pou KM, Maurovich-Horvat P, Liu CY, Vasan RS, Murabito JM, Meigs JB, Cupples LA, D’Agostino RB Sr, O’Donnell CJ (2007) Abdominal visceral and subcutaneous adipose tissue compartments: association with metabolic risk factors in the Framingham Heart Study. Circulation 116:39–48PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Maneschi E, Vignozzi L, Morelli A, Mello T, Filippi S, Cellai I, Comeglio P, Sarchielli E, Calcagno A, Mazzanti B, Vettor R, Vannelli GB, Adorini L, Maggi M (2013) FXR activation normalizes insulin sensitivity in visceral preadipocytes of a rabbit model of MetS. J Endocrinol 218:215–231PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pischon T, Boeing H, Hoffmann K, Bergmann M, Schulze MB, Overvad K, van der Schouw YT, Spencer E, Moons KG, Tjonneland A, Halkjaer J, Jensen MK, Stegger J, Clavel-Chapelon F, Boutron-Ruault MC, Chajes V, Linseisen J, Kaaks R, Trichopoulou A, Trichopoulos D, Bamia C, Sieri S, Palli D, Tumino R, Vineis P, Panico S, Peeters PH, May AM, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, van Duijnhoven FJ, Hallmans G, Weinehall L, Manjer J, Hedblad B, Lund E, Agudo A, Arriola L, Barricarte A, Navarro C, Martinez C, Quiros JR, Key T, Bingham S, Khaw KT, Boffetta P, Jenab M, Ferrari P, Riboli E (2008) General and abdominal adiposity and risk of death in Europe. N Engl J Med 359:2105–2120PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar