A transcriptomic analysis of Nsmce1 overexpression in mouse hippocampal neuronal cell by RNA sequencing
- 53 Downloads
Mouse Nsmce1 gene is the homolog of non-structural maintenance of chromosomes element 1 (NSE1) that is mainly involved in maintenance of genome integrity, DNA damage response, and DNA repair. Defective DNA repair may cause neurological disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease (AD). So far, there is no direct evidence for the correlation between Nsmce1 and AD. In order to explore the function of Nsmce1 in the regulation of nervous system, we have overexpressed or knocked down Nsmce1 in the mouse hippocampal neuronal cells (MHNCs) HT-22 and detected its regulation of AD marker genes as well as cell proliferation. The results showed that the expression of App, Bace2, and Mapt could be inhibited by Nsmce1 overexpression and activated by the knockdown of Nsmce1. Moreover, the HT-22 cell proliferation ability could be promoted by Nsmce1 overexpression and inhibited by knockdown of Nsmce1. Furthermore, we performed a transcriptomics study by RNA sequencing (RNA-seq) to evaluate and quantify the gene expression profiles in response to the overexpression of Nsmce1 in HT-22 cells. As a result, 224 significantly dysregulated genes including 83 upregulated and 141 downregulated genes were identified by the comparison of Nsmce1 /+ to WT cells, which were significantly enriched in several Gene Ontology (GO) terms and pathways. In addition, the complexity of the alternative splicing (AS) landscape was increased by Nsmce1 overexpression in HT-22 cells. Thousands of AS events were identified to be mainly involved in the pathway of ubiquitin-mediated proteolysis (UMP) as well as 3 neurodegenerative diseases including AD. The protein-protein interaction network was reconstructed to show top 10 essential genes regulated by Nsmce1. Our sequencing data is available in the Gene Expression Omnibus (GEO) database with accession number as GSE113436. These results may provide some evidence of molecular and cellular functions of Nsmce1 in MHNCs.
KeywordsNsmce1 HT-22 RNA-seq Alternative splicing AD
KH conceived and designed the study. MG, YL, WZ, and WXL performed the experiments and data analysis. MG and KH wrote the paper. SY, JZ, HZ, and JW reviewed and edited the manuscript. All authors read and approved the manuscript.
This study received financial supports by the Natural Science Foundation Project of Anhui Province (1508085QC63 and 1908085MC87), Key University Science Research Project of Anhui Province (KJ2017A021), and the Scientific Research Foundation and Academic & Technology Leaders Introduction Project, and 211 Project of Anhui University (10117700023), and the Student Research Training Program of Anhui University (J10118516042).
Compliance with ethical standards
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- Goswami SC, Thierry-Mieg D, Thierry-Mieg J, Mishra S, Hoon MA, Mannes AJ, Iadarola MJ (2014) Itch-associated peptides: RNA-Seq and bioinformatic analysis of natriuretic precursor peptide B and gastrin releasing peptide in dorsal root and trigeminal ganglia, and the spinal cord. Mol Pain 10:44. https://doi.org/10.1186/1744-8069-10-44 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Grupe A, Li Y, Rowland C, Nowotny P, Hinrichs AL, Smemo S, Kauwe JS, Maxwell TJ, Cherny S, Doil L, Tacey K, van Luchene R, Myers A, Wavrant-de Vrièze F, Kaleem M, Hollingworth P, Jehu L, Foy C, Archer N, Hamilton G, Holmans P, Morris CM, Catanese J, Sninsky J, White TJ, Powell J, Hardy J, O'Donovan M, Lovestone S, Jones L, Morris JC, Thal L, Owen M, Williams J, Goate A (2006) A scan of chromosome 10 identifies a novel locus showing strong association with late-onset Alzheimer disease. Am J Hum Genet 78:78–88. https://doi.org/10.1086/498851 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Guo G, Gui Y, Gao S, Tang A, Hu X, Huang Y, Jia W, Li Z, He M, Sun L, Song P, Sun X, Zhao X, Yang S, Liang C, Wan S, Zhou F, Chen C, Zhu J, Li X, Jian M, Zhou L, Ye R, Huang P, Chen J, Jiang T, Liu X, Wang Y, Zou J, Jiang Z, Wu R, Wu S, Fan F, Zhang Z, Liu L, Yang R, Liu X, Wu H, Yin W, Zhao X, Liu Y, Peng H, Jiang B, Feng Q, Li C, Xie J, Lu J, Kristiansen K, Li Y, Zhang X, Li S, Wang J, Yang H, Cai Z, Wang J (2011) Frequent mutations of genes encoding ubiquitin-mediated proteolysis pathway components in clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Nat Genet 44:17–19. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng.1014 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- He G, Luo W, Li P, Remmers C, Netzer WJ, Hendrick J, Bettayeb K, Flajolet M, Gorelick F, Wennogle LP, Greengard P (2010) Gamma-secretase activating protein is a therapeutic target for Alzheimer’s disease. Nature 467:95–98. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature09325 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- John Lin CC, Yu K, Hatcher A, Huang TW, Lee HK, Carlson J, Weston MC, Chen F, Zhang Y, Zhu W, Mohila CA, Ahmed N, Patel AJ, Arenkiel BR, Noebels JL, Creighton CJ, Deneen B (2017) Identification of diverse astrocyte populations and their malignant analogs. Nat Neurosci 20:396–405. https://doi.org/10.1038/nn.4493 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Jonsson T, Atwal JK, Steinberg S, Snaedal J, Jonsson PV, Bjornsson S, Stefansson H, Sulem P, Gudbjartsson D, Maloney J, Hoyte K, Gustafson A, Liu Y, Lu Y, Bhangale T, Graham RR, Huttenlocher J, Bjornsdottir G, Andreassen OA, J A.eas EG, Palotie A, Behrens TW, Magnusson OT, Kong A, Thorsteinsdottir U, Watts RJ, Stefansson K (2012) A mutation in APP protects against Alzheimer’s disease and age-related cognitive decline. Nature 488:96–99. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature11283 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ridnour LA, Dhanapal S, Hoos M, Wilson J, Lee J, Cheng RY, Brueggemann EE, Hines HB, Wilcock DM, Vitek MP, Wink DA, Colton CA (2012) Nitric oxide-mediated regulation of beta-amyloid clearance via alterations of MMP-9/TIMP-1. J Neurochem 123:736–749. https://doi.org/10.1111/jnc.12028 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Santa Maria SR, Gangavarapu V, Johnson RE, Prakash L, Prakash S (2007) Requirement of Nse1, a subunit of the Smc5-Smc6 complex, for Rad52-dependent postreplication repair of UV-damaged DNA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol 27:8409–8418. https://doi.org/10.1128/mcb.01543-07 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Simpson JE, Ince PG, Shaw PJ, Heath PR, Raman R, Garwood CJ, Gelsthorpe C, Baxter L, Forster G, Matthews FE, Brayne C, Wharton SB, MRC Cognitive Function and Ageing Neuropathology Study Group (2011) Microarray analysis of the astrocyte transcriptome in the aging brain: relationship to Alzheimer’s pathology and APOE genotype. Neurobiol Aging 32:1795–1807. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2011.04.013 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Welty S, Teng Y, Liang Z, Zhao W, Sanders LH, Greenamyre JT, Rubio ME, Thathiah A, Kodali R, Wetzel R, Levine AS, Lan L (2018) RAD52 is required for RNA-templated recombination repair in post-mitotic neurons. J Biol Chem 293:1353–1362. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M117.808402 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar