Transcriptomic Analysis of the Cold-Pretreated Larimichthys crocea Showing Enhanced Growth Fitness in Cold Water
The large yellow croaker Larimichthys crocea is an economically important marine fish species endemic to China and East Asia. Ningde area of Fujian Province is a major L. crocea aquaculture and spawning center in China. L. crocea cultivated at the Zhoushan area appears to be popular but suffered high mortality in cold water during winter seasons. To reduce the mortality rate, we pretreated fish with cold shocks prior to shift to cold water. In this study, we show that cold-pretreated L. crocea 12 days after shift to cold water increase the viability by 5.77-fold compared to the unpretreated (live fish 75 versus 13, p value = 1.775e-06, n = 100). The highest loss of 31 out of 100 fish in the unpretreated group occurred in day 3 after temperature shift. To identify the pretreatment-induced transcriptional changes that may be attributed to cold-resistance and survival, we performed RNA-seq analysis of a total of 48 fish that were prior to and 48 h, 54 h, and 72 h after temperature shift in pretreated and unpretreated groups in sextuplicate. Transcriptomic profiling analysis indicates that pretreatment-induced transcriptional alterations of enzymes involved in FASI, β-oxidation, PUFA synthesis, oxidative phosphorylation, and molecular chaperones persisted after temperature shift, suggesting that these metabolic pathways may play a role in L. crocea cold-resistance and survival. Our study provides insights on how the pretreatment enhances the L. crocea growth fitness in cold water.
KeywordsCold pretreatment Growth fitness Larimichthys crocea Metabolic pathways Transcriptomic profiling
The authors would like to thank Miss Fang W. and Mr. Ma Y. for their assistance on data processing.
This work was supported by grants from Zhoushan Municipal Bureau for Science and Technology, China (2016C02055-7-3 and 2018C31091) and from Zhejiang Provincial Bureau for Marine Fisheries, China (ZFA33).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
This work was approved by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee of Zhejiang Ocean University and was performed following the Guidelines on the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes set by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee of Zhejiang Ocean University.
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interest.
- Ao J, Mu Y, Xiang LX, Fan D, Feng M, Zhang S, Shi Q, Zhu LY, Li T, Ding Y, Nie L, Li Q, Dong WR, Jiang L, Sun B, Zhang X, Li M, Zhang HQ, Xie S, Zhu Y, Jiang X, Wang X, Mu P, Chen W, Yue Z, Wang Z, Wang J, Shao JZ, Chen X (2015) Genome sequencing of the perciform fish Larimichthys crocea provides insights into molecular and genetic mechanisms of stress adaptation. PLoS Genet 11:e1005118CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Black MC, Millsap DS, Mccarty JF (1991) Effects of acute temperature change on respiration and toxicant uptake by rainbow trout, Salmo gairdneri (Richardson). Physiol Zool 42:336–357Google Scholar
- Fisheries Administration Bureau, M.O.A (2018) China fishery statistics yearbooks (2018). China Agriculture Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Gan HM, Austin C, Linton S (2018) Transcriptome-guided identification of carbohydrate active enzymes (CAZy) from the Christmas Island red crab, Gecarcoidea natalis and a vote for the inclusion of Transcriptome-derived crustacean CAZys in comparative studies. Mar Biotechnol 20:654–665CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Life (2000) Zhoushan fish farm returns 1 million yellow croaker fry to sea. http://en.people.cn/english/200007/10/eng20000710_45141.html. People's Daily, Beijing, China: Xinhua Agent
- Ribas L, Crespo B, Sánchez-Baizán N, Xavier D, Kuhl H, Rodríguez JM, Díaz N, Boltañá S, Mackenzie S, Morán F, Zanuy S, Gómez A, Piferrer F (2019) Characterization of the European Sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) gonadal transcriptome during sexual development. Mar Biotechnol 21:359–373CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yu JW, Shen WL (2019) Productivity of the Ningbo Daiquzuo large yellow croaker in Zhejiang is expected to double in 2019. Ocean-network News, 2019-04-26, (http://www.hellosea.net/food/marinelives/2019-04-26/62239.html)
- Zs.Gov.Cn (2013) People in Zhoushan are relentless to raise big yellow fish. Online news, 2013-01-15, Zhoushan Municipal Government (http://www.zhoushan.gov.cn/art/2013/1/15/art_1276167_4862995.html)