Corallium rubrum taxonomy is based on morphologic criteria; little is known about its genome. We set up a rapid, easy method based on amplified fragment length polymorphism to characterize the genetic patterns of C. rubrum in an attempt to understand better the evolutionary relations between species from diverse geographic areas and to help define migration patterns. Applying this procedure to C. rubrum specimens from Spain and Italy, we identified 6 AFLP amplification fragments common to the 4 coral populations studied and 4 fragments that differentiated between these populations. Using this characterization we were able to plot a “genetic identity card” of this commercially harvested species, which is also a marker of pollution.
KeywordsCnidaria Octocorallia Corallium rubrum genetic typing polymorphism
This work was supported by grants from CNR (Progetto Finalizzato Biotechologie). We are indebted to Jean Ann Gilder for editing the text.
- Allemand, D., Benazet-Tambutté, E. 1996Dynamics of calcification in the Mediterranean red coral, Corallium rubrum (Linnaeus) (Cnidaria, Octocorallia)J Exp Zool276270278Google Scholar
- Allemand, P., Grillo, M.C. 1992Biocalcification mechanism in Gorgonians: 45Ca uptake and deposition by the Mediterranean red coral Corallium rubrum J Exp Zool262237246Google Scholar
- Carpine, C., Grashoff, M. 1975Les Gorgonaries de la MediterranéeBull Musèe Oceanogr Monaco711140Google Scholar
- Grillo, M.C., Goldberg, W.M., Allemand, D. 1993Skeleton and sclerite formation in the precious red coral Corallium rubrum Mar Biol117119128Google Scholar
- McLain, D.K., Rai, K.S., Fraser, M.J. 1987Intraspecific and interspecific variation in the sequence and abundance of highly repeated DNA among mosquitos of the Aedes albopictus subgroupHeredity,58373381Google Scholar
- McMillan, J., Yellowlees, D., Heyward, A., Harrison, P., Miller, D.J. 1988Preparation of high molecular weight DNA from hermatypic corals and its use for DNA hybridization and cloningMar Biol98271276Google Scholar
- Sharma, S.K., Knox, M.R., Ellis, T.H.N. 1996AFLP analysis of the diversity and phylogeny of Lens and its comparison with RAPD analysisTheor Appl Genet93751758Google Scholar
- Weinberg, S. 1978Mediterranean octocorallian communities and abiotic environmentMar Biol494157Google Scholar
- Vollmer, S.V., Palumbi, S.R. 2002Hybridization and the evolution of reef coral diversitySciences29620232025Google Scholar
- Zoccola, N.D., Tambutte, E., Senegas-Balas, F., Michiels, J.F., Failla, J.P., Jaubert, J., Allemand, D. 1999Cloning of a calcium channel α1 subunit from the reef-building coral, Stylophora pistillata Gene221157167Google Scholar