Adjuvant chemotherapy with 5-FU or regimens including oral fluoropyrimidine for curable gastric cancer
Since 2000, several studies have reported positive results in reasonable-size randomized controlled trials of adjuvant treatment for potentially curable gastric cancer. At present, postoperative adjuvant chemoradiotherapy and perioperative chemotherapy are the standard of care in the United States and Europe (including Great Britain), respectively, while postoperative S-1 monotherapy is the standard of care in Japan. The effect of adjuvant treatment varies according to the type of surgery, and the best results so far have been observed in the adjuvant chemotherapy of TS-1 for gastric cancer (ACTS-GC) trial, in which D2 surgery followed by S-1 monotherapy was tested. The role of radiotherapy after D2 dissection remains unclear.
Key wordsAdjuvant treatment Fluorouracil Chemoradiotherapy Gastric cancer
- 10.De Vita F, Giuliani F, Orditura M, Galizia G, Di Martino N, Montemurro F, et al. Adjuvant chemotherapy with epirubicin, leucovorin, 5-fluorouracil and etoposide regimen in resected gastric cancer patients: a randomized phase IIItrial by the Gruppo Oncologico Italia Meridionale (GOIM 9602 Study). Ann Oncol 2007;18:1354–1358.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Nashimoto A, Nakajima T, Furukawa H, Kitamura M, Kinoshita T, Yamamura Y, et al. Randomized trial of adjuvant chemotherapy with mitomycin, fluorouracil, and cytosine arabinoside followed by oral fluorouracil in serosa-negative gastric cancer; Japan Clinical Oncology Group 9206-1. J Clin Oncol 2003;21:2282–2287.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Miyashiro I, Furukawa H, Sasako M, Yamamoto S, Nashimoto A, Nakajima T, et al. No survival benefit with adjuvant chemotherapy for serosa-positive gastric cancer: randomized trial of adjuvant chemotherapy with cisplatin followed by oral fluorouracil (UFT) in serosa-positive gastric cancer. Presented at the 2005 Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium; 2005 January 27–29; Hollywood, FL, USA. Alexandria, VA, American Society of Clinical Oncology; 2005.Google Scholar
- 19.Macdonald JS, Smalley S, Benedetti J, Estes N, Haller D, Ajani JA, et al. Presented at the 2004 Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium; 2004 Jan 22–24; San Francisco, CA, USA. Alexandria, VA, American Society of Clinical Oncology; 2004.Google Scholar
- 21.Kim SK, Lim DH, Lee JY, Kang WK, Macdonald JS, Park CH, et al. An observational study suggesting clinical benefit for adjuvant postoperative chemoradiotherapy in a population of over 500 cases after gastric resection with D2 nodal dissection for adenocarcinoma of the stomach. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2005;63:1279–1285.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar