Construction of photoresponsive supramolecular micelles based on ethyl cellulose graft copolymer
In this work, a UV-Visible light controlled supramolecular system based on ethyl cellulose (EC) was constructed, combining the host-guest interaction of β-cyclodextrin (β-CD) group and trans-isomer of azobenzene (tAzo) group. To link β-CD to the hydrophobic section, renewable EC was used as macroinitiator to initiate the polymerization of ɛ-caprolactone (ɛ-CL) to form biocompatible and biodegradable comb copolymer EC-g-PCL, and β-CD was attached to the end of PCL side chain via click reaction. Meanwhile, hydrophilic PEG-tAzo was obtained by N,N′-dicyclohexylcarbodiimide (DCC) coupling. Then, the structures of the products were characterized by nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and gel permeation chromatography (GPC). Subsequently, with the formation of inclusion complexes by β-CD and tAzo groups, the obtained EC-g-PCL-β-CD/PEG-tAzo supramolecular system self-assembled in water with hydrophobic EC-g-PCL-β-CD as core and hydrophilic PEG-tAzo as shell. Furthermore, dynamic light scattering (DLS) and transmission electron microscopy (TEM) were utilized to investigate the particle size and size distribution, while NMR and UV-Vis spectra were applied to explore the UV-Visible light stimuli-responsiveness of the micelles.
KeywordsEthyl cellulose Supramolecular system Self-assembly Photoresponse
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wu, J., Zhang, H., Zhang, J. and He, J.S., Chem. J. Chinese U., 2006, 27(3): 592Google Scholar
- 3.Cao, Y., Li, H.Q., Zhang, J., He, J.S. and Zhang, Y., Chinese J. Chem. Eng., 2009, 60(7): 1855Google Scholar
- 10.Shi, P.J., Zuo, Y., Zou, Q., Shen, J., Zhang, L., Li, Y.B. and Morsi, Y.S., Int. J. Phytorem., 2009, 375(1–2): 67Google Scholar
- 32.Wang, H., Wang, S.T., Su, H., Chen, K.J., Armijo, A. L., Lin, W.Y., Wang, Y.J., Sun, J., Kamei, K.I. and Czernin, J., Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2009, 48(1): 44344Google Scholar
- 38.Luo, W.A., Jiang, B.J., Cheng, L., Xu, Y.T., Chen X.D. and Dai L.Z., Prog. Chem., 2013, 25(10):1713Google Scholar
- 39.Schartl, W., “Light Scattering from Polymer Solutions and Nanoparticle Dispersions Series” (Zheng, C. and Liang, D.H. translate, in Chinese), China Machine Press, Beijing, 2012, p. 41Google Scholar