Ring opening polymerization of tetrahydrofuran catalysed by maghnite-H+
- 315 Downloads
The cationic ring-opening polymerization of tetrahydrofuran using maghnite-H+ is reported. Maghnite-H+, is a non-toxic solid catalyst issued from proton exchanged montmorillonite clay. Polytetrahydrofuran, also called “poly(butandiol) ether”, with acetate and hydroxyl end groups was successfully synthesized. Effects of reaction temperature, weight ratio of initiator/monomer and reaction time on the conversion of monomer and on the molecular weight are investigated. A cationic mechanism of the reaction was proposed. This chemistry can be considered as a suitable route for preparing poly(THF) as a soft segment for thermoplastic elastomers.
KeywordsMontmorillonite Maghnite Ring opening polymerization THF
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Wang, P., Jia, Z., Zhao, M., Sun, Z., Zhang, H., Ji, S. and Zhao, Y., J. Chem. Ind. Eng. Soc. China, 2009, 7: 12Google Scholar
- 9.Donald, R. and John, F., 1993, US Patent, 5262562Google Scholar
- 10.Belbachir, M. and Bensaoula, A., 2001, US Patent, 6,274,527B1Google Scholar
- 21.Belbachir, M. and Bensaoula A., 2003, US Patent, 0069446A1Google Scholar
- 22.Dreyfuss, P., “Poly(tetrahydrofuran)”, Gorden and Breach, New York, 1982, p. 306Google Scholar
- 23.Odian, G., “The polymerization: principles and applications”, Polytechnica Paris, New York, 1999, p. 222Google Scholar