When closed graph manifolds are finitely covered by surface bundles over S 1
The problem of deciding whether a graph manifold is finitely covered by a surface bundle over the circle is discussed in this paper. A necessary and sufficient condition in term of the solutions of a certain matrix equation is obtained, as well as a necessary condition which is easy to compute. Our results sharpen and extend the earlier results of J. Leucke-Y. Wu, W. Neumann, and S. Wang-F. Yu in this topic.
KeywordsSurface bundle Covering Graph manifolds
1991MR Subject Classification57N10 57M10 15A18
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J Luecke, Y Q Wu. Relative Euler number and finite covers of graph manifolds. Proceedings of the Georgia International Topology Conference, AMS/AP, 1997, 12: 80–103Google Scholar
- W D Neumann. Commensurability and virtual fibration for graph manifolds. Topology, 1997, (2): 355–378Google Scholar
- S C Wang, Y Q Wu. Covering invariant of graph manifolds and cohopficity of 3-manifold groups. Proc London Math Soc, 1994, 68: 221–242Google Scholar
- J Hempel. 3-manifolds. Annals of Mathematics Studies 86, Princeton University Press, 1976Google Scholar
- M Hall, Jr. Combinatorial Theory. Blaisdell Publishing Company, 1967Google Scholar