Mediterranean land systems under global change: current state and future challenges
The Mediterranean region is one of the areas in the world that is recognized as a hot spot not only for climate change but also more generally for global change. Indeed, the Mediterranean land surfaces and their associated socio-ecosystems are facing large modifications linked to an increase in drought frequency (Hoerling et al., 2011); to an ever-increasing population, from 370 million in 2000 to probably 560 million in 2030 (Ludwig et al., 2010); and to intense migration to coastal cities (Mediterra, 2008). The future of the Mediterranean socio-ecosystems is therefore questionable. It is even more so because for many years now, their natural resources have been under pressure and became insufficient in many countries when compared to the needs of the populations. The situation is expected to worsen and favor large social tensions, within and between the Mediterranean countries. Water resources are drastically lacking in the southern and eastern Mediterranean countries where 108...
KeywordsMediterranean region Socio-ecosystems Sustainable management Global change
We would like to thank all those who contributed to this special issue as well as the Editor in Chief of Regional Environmental Change and the reviewers for their help in the edition of the submitted papers. We also thank all colleagues and institutes from the Mediterranean Rim who participated to the SICMED programme and proved possible to build a genuine and stimulating interdisciplinary cooperation on a topic that is of interest for the whole Mediterranean region. Finally, CNRS-INSU, INRA, IRD and IRSTEA are greatly acknowledged for providing financial support to SICMED in the framework of the MISTRAL initiative.
- Ait-Mouheb N, Bahri A, Ben Thayer B, Benyahia B, Bourrié G, Cherki B, Condom N, Declercq R, Gunes A, Héran M, Kitir N, Molle B, Patureau D, Pollice A, Rapaport A, Renault P, Riahi K, Romagny B, Sarin T, Sinfort C, Steyer JP, Talozi S, Topcuoglu B, Turan M, Wéry N, Yıldırım E, Harmand J (2018) The reuse of reclaimed water for irrigation around the Mediterranean Rim: a step towards a more virtuous cycle? Reg Environ Change. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10113-018-1292-z
- Doumas P, Munoz M, Banni M, Becerra S, Bruneel O, Casiot C, Cleyet-Marel JC, Gardon J, Noack Y, Sappin-Didier V (2016) Polymetallic pollution from abandoned mines in Mediterranean regions: a multidisciplinary approach to environmental risks. Reg Environ Change doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10113-016-0939-x
- Gauquelin T, Michon G, Joffre R, Duponnois R, Genin D, Fady B, Bou Dagher-Kharrat M, Derridj A, Slimani S, Badri W, Alifriqui M, Auclair L, Simenel R, Aderghal M, Baudoin E, Galiana A, Prin Y, Sanguin H, Fernandez C, Baldy V (2016) Mediterranean forests, land use and climate change: a social-ecological perspective. Reg Environ Change doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10113-016-0994-3
- Lagacherie P, Álvaro-Fuentes J, Annabi M, Bernoux M, Bouarfa S, Douaoui A, Grünberger O, Hammani A, Montanarella L, Mrabet R, Sabir M, Raclot D (2017) Managing Mediterranean soil resources under global change: expected trends and mitigation strategies. Reg Environ Change doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10113-017-1239-9
- Mediterra (2008) Les futurs agricoles et alimentaires en Méditerranée. Centre international de Hautes Etudes Agronomiques Méditerranéennes. Presses de SciencesPo, ParisGoogle Scholar
- Milano M, Ruelland D, Fernandez S, Dezetter A, Fabre J, Servat E, Fritsch JM, Ardoin-Bardin S, Thivet G (2013) Current state of Mediterranean water resources and future trends under climatic and anthropogenic changes. Hydrological Sciences Journal 58:498–518. https://doi.org/10.1080/02626667.2013.774458 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Souissi I, Boisson JM, Mekki I, Therond O, Flichman G, Wery J, Belhouchette H (2017) Impact assessment of climate change on farming systems in the South Mediterranean area: a Tunisian case study. Reg Environ Change doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10113-017-1130-8
- Soulard CT, Valette E, Perrin C, Abrantes PC, Anthopoulou T, Benjaballah O, Bouchemal S, Dugue P, El Amrani M, Lardon S, Marraccini E, Mousselin G, Napoleone C, Paoli JC (2017) Peri-urban agro-ecosystems in the Mediterranean: diversity, dynamics, and drivers. Reg Environ Change doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10113-017-1102-z