Lifting and separation procedures for the cut polytope
- 456 Downloads
The max-cut problem and the associated cut polytope on complete graphs have been extensively studied over the last 25 years. However, in comparison, only little research has been conducted for the cut polytope on arbitrary graphs, in particular separation algorithms have received only little attention. In this study we describe new separation and lifting procedures for the cut polytope on general graphs. These procedures exploit algorithmic and structural results known for the cut polytope on complete graphs to generate valid, and sometimes facet defining, inequalities for the cut polytope on arbitrary graphs in a cutting plane framework. We report computational results on a set of well-established benchmark problems.
KeywordsMax-cut problem Cut polytope Separation algorithm Branch-and-cut Unconstrained boolean quadratic programming Ising spin glass model
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)90C27 90C57 90C20 90C09 82D30
We would like to thank Carlo Mannino for providing the interesting max-cut instances arising in the frequency assignment context and the referees for the careful reading of the paper.
- 2.Applegate, D.L., Bixby, R.E., Chvátal, V., Cook, W.J.: The Traveling Salesman Problem: A Computational Study. Princeton University Press, Princeton (2006)Google Scholar
- 22.Liers, F.: Contributions to Determining Exact Ground-States of Ising Spin-Glasses and to their Physics. PhD Thesis, University of Cologne (2004)Google Scholar
- 23.Liers, F., Jünger, M., Reinelt, G., Rinaldi, G.: Computing exact ground states of hard Ising spin glass problems by branch-and-cut. In: Hartmann, A., Rieger, H. (eds.) New Optim. Algorithms Phys., pp. 47–70. Wiley-VCH, London (2004)Google Scholar
- 24.Mannino, C.: Personal communication (2011)Google Scholar
- 26.Poljak, S., Tuza, Z.: Maximum cuts and large bipartite subgraphs. In: Cook, W. et al. (eds.) Combinatorial Optimization. DIMACS Series in Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science, vol. 20, pp. 181–244 (1995)Google Scholar
- 27.Rendl, F., et al.: Semidefinite relaxations for integer programming. In: Jünger, M. et al. (eds.) 50 years of Integer Programming 1958–2008: The Early Years and State-of-the-Art Surveys, pp. 687–726. Springer, Berlin (2010)Google Scholar
- 29.Rinaldi, G.: Rudy: a graph generator. http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~helmberg/rudy.tar.gz (1998)
- 30.Wiegele, A.: BiqMac library. biqmac.uni-klu.ac.at/biqmaclib.html (2007)Google Scholar