Generalized intersection cuts and a new cut generating paradigm
- 438 Downloads
Intersection cuts are generated from a polyhedral cone and a convex set S whose interior contains no feasible integer point. We generalize these cuts by replacing the cone with a more general polyhedron C. The resulting generalized intersection cuts dominate the original ones. This leads to a new cutting plane paradigm under which one generates and stores the intersection points of the extreme rays of C with the boundary of S rather than the cuts themselves. These intersection points can then be used to generate in a non-recursive fashion cuts that would require several recursive applications of some standard cut generating routine. A procedure is also given for strengthening the coefficients of the integer-constrained variables of a generalized intersection cut. The new cutting plane paradigm yields a new characterization of the closure of intersection cuts and their strengthened variants. This characterization is minimal in the sense that every one of the inequalities it uses defines a facet of the closure.
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)90C10 90C11 90C57
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Andersen, K., Louveaux Q., Weismantel, R., Wolsey, L.: Cutting planes from two rows of a simplex Tableau. IPCO XII, pp. 1–15, Ithaca, New York (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Dey, S., Wolsey, L.: Lifting integer variables in minimal inequalities corresponding to lattice-free triangles. IPCO XIII, pp. 263–275, Bertinoro, Italy (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Fischetti, M., Lodi, A., Tramontani, A.: On the separation of disjunctive cuts. Math. Program. A (2009). doi: 10.1007/s10107-009-0300-y
- 12.Grűnbaum B.: Convex Polytopes. Interscience Publishers, NY (1967)Google Scholar
- 14.Lovász L.: Geometry of numbers and integer programming. In: Iri, M., Tanabe, K. (eds) Mathematical Programming, pp. 177–201. KTK Scientific Publishers, Tokyo (1989)Google Scholar
- 15.Wesselmann F.: Strengthening Gomory Mixed-Integer Cuts: A Computational Study. University of Paderborn, Paderborn (2009)Google Scholar