Optimizing over the first Chvátal closure
- 318 Downloads
How difficult is, in practice, to optimize exactly over the first Chvátal closure of a generic ILP? Which fraction of the integrality gap can be closed this way, e.g., for some hard problems in the MIPLIB library? Can the first-closure optimization be useful as a research (off-line) tool to guess the structure of some relevant classes of inequalities, when a specific combinatorial problem is addressed? In this paper we give answers to the above questions, based on an extensive computational analysis. Our approach is to model the rank-1 Chvátal-Gomory separation problem, which is known to be NP-hard, through a MIP model, which is then solved through a general-purpose MIP solver. As far as we know, this approach was never implemented and evaluated computationally by previous authors, though it gives a very useful separation tool for general ILP problems. We report the optimal value over the first Chvátal closure for a set of ILP problems from MIPLIB 3.0 and 2003. We also report, for the first time, the optimal solution of a very hard instance from MIPLIB 2003, namely nsrand-ipx, obtained by using our cut separation procedure to preprocess the original ILP model. Finally, we describe a new class of ATSP facets found with the help of our separation procedure.
KeywordsInteger programs Separation problems Chvátal–Gomory cuts Computational analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Achterberg, T., Koch, T., Martin, A.: The mixed integer programming library: MIPLIB 2003, http://www.miplib.zib.de (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Balas, E., Saxena, A.: Optimizing over the split closure, Technical Report 2006-E5, Tepper School of Business, CMU (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Bonami, P., Cornuejols, G., Dash, S., Fischetti, M., Lodi, A.: Projected Chvatal-Gomory cuts for mixed integer linear programs. Technical Report 2006-E4, Tepper School of Business, CMU, to appear Math. Program. (in press)Google Scholar
- 6.Bixby, R.E., Ceria, S., McZeal, C.M., Savelsbergh, M.W.P.: MIPLIB 3.0, http://www.caam. rice.edu/~bixby/miplib/miplib.htmlGoogle Scholar
- 8.Christof, T., Löbel, A.: PORTA - POlyhedron representation transformation algorithm, http://www.zib.de/Optimization/Software/Porta/Google Scholar
- 10.Dash, S., Günlük, O., Lodi, A.: On the MIR closure of polyhedra. IBM, T.J. Watson Research, Working paper, (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Edmonds J. and Johnson H.L. (1970). Matching: a well-solved class of integer linear programs. In: Guy, R.K. (eds) Combinatorial Structures and their Applications., pp 89–92. Gordon and Breach, New York Google Scholar
- 14.Fischetti M. and Lodi A. (2005). Optimizing over the first Chvátal closure. In: Jünger, M. and Kaibel, V. (eds) Integer programming and combinatorial optimization—IPCO 2005, LNCS 3509, pp 12–22. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York Google Scholar
- 16.Gomory R.E. (1963). An algorithm for integer solutions to linear programs. In: Graves, R.L. and Wolfe, P. (eds) Recent Advances in Mathematical Programming, pp 275. McGraw-Hill, New York Google Scholar
- 17.ILOG Cplex 9.1: User’s manual and reference manual, ILOG, S.A. http://www.ilog.com/(2005)Google Scholar
- 18.Letchford A.N., Reinelt G. and Theis D.O. (2004). A faster exact separation algorithm for blossom inequalities. In: Bienstock, D. and Nemhauser, G. (eds) Integer programming and combinatorial optimization—IPCO 2004, LNCS 3064, pp 196–205. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York Google Scholar