Tractable Approximations to Robust Conic Optimization Problems
- 801 Downloads
In earlier proposals, the robust counterpart of conic optimization problems exhibits a lateral increase in complexity, i.e., robust linear programming problems (LPs) become second order cone problems (SOCPs), robust SOCPs become semidefinite programming problems (SDPs), and robust SDPs become NP-hard. We propose a relaxed robust counterpart for general conic optimization problems that (a) preserves the computational tractability of the nominal problem; specifically the robust conic optimization problem retains its original structure, i.e., robust LPs remain LPs, robust SOCPs remain SOCPs and robust SDPs remain SDPs, and (b) allows us to provide a guarantee on the probability that the robust solution is feasible when the uncertain coefficients obey independent and identically distributed normal distributions.
KeywordsRobust Optimization Conic Optimization Stochastic Optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ben-Tal, A., Nemirovski, A.: On the quality of SDP approximations of uncertain SDP programs, Research Report #4/98 Optimization Laboratory, Faculty of Industrial Engineering and Management, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Israel (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Ben-Tal, A., Nemirovski, A.: Lectures on Modern Convex Optimization: Analysis, Algorithms, and Engineering Applications. MPR-SIAM Series on Optimization, SIAM, Philadelphia 2001Google Scholar
- 6.Ben-Tal, A., El-Ghaoui, L., Nemirovski, A.: Robust semidefinite programming. In: Saigal, R., Vandenberghe, L., Wolkowicz, H., (eds.), Semidefinite programming and applications, Kluwer Academic Publishers, (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Bertsimas, D., Brown, D.: Constrainted stochastic LQC: A tractable approach. submitted for publication, 2004Google Scholar
- 11.Birge, J.R., Louveaux, F.: Introduction to Stochastic Programming. Springer, New York, 1997Google Scholar
- 15.Nemirovski, A.: On tractable approximations of ramdomly perturbed convex constraints. In: Proceedings of the 42nd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Maui, Hawaii, USA, December, pp. 2419–2422, 2003Google Scholar
- 16.Nemirovski, A.: Regular Banach spaces and large deviations of random sums. http://iew3.technion.ac.il/Home/Users/Nemirovski.html#part4 2004Google Scholar
- 17.Renegar, J.: A mathematical view of interior-point methods in convex optimization. MPS-SIAM Series on Optimization, SIAM, Philadelphia, 2001Google Scholar