Influence of grape seed extract in adhesion on dentin surfaces conditioned with Er,Cr:YSGG laser
- 102 Downloads
The proanthocyanidin (PA)-rich grape seed extract (GSE) is a collagen cross-linking agent that can perform a chemical bond with the dentin’s collagen. The objective of this study was to evaluate the influence on shear bond strength (SBS) of the pre-conditioning of GSE, on human dentin surfaces conditioned with Er,Cr:YSGG laser. The sample consisted of 64 non-carious human teeth, divided into eight groups, four groups conditioned with Er,Cr:YSGG laser (4.5 W, 50 Hz, 50 μs, 70% air, 90% water) and four prepared with conventional methods (control). In both groups, a GSE solution was applied before using the two adhesives tested: Clearfil™ SE Bond (CSE) and Scotchbond™ Universal (SU). Subsequently, a SBS test, a scanning electron microscopy, and a statistical analysis were performed. In the laser groups, the best SBS mean (20.08 ± 4.01 MPa) was achieved in the group treated with GSE and CSE. The control group with the application of CSE showed the highest SBS mean (24.27 ± 10.28 MPa), and the group treated with laser and SU showed the lowest SBS mean (12.94 ± 6.51 MPa). Between these two groups there was a statistically significant difference (p = 0.05). However, this was not observed among the laser or control groups. The type of dentin surface preparation can influence the SBS. The CSE showed better SBS in laser and control groups. The presence of GSE did not improve the adhesion on surfaces conditioned with laser, but more studies should be carried out in the future to confirm this conclusion.
KeywordsLasers Adhesives Matrix metalloproteinases Collagen Grape seed extract Proanthocyanidin
The authors declare that there was no funding.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 7.Guven Y, Aktoren O (2013) Shear bond strength and ultrastructural interface analysis of different adhesive systems to Er:YAG laser-prepared dentin. Lasers Med Sci. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-013-1424-0
- 8.Van Meerbeek B, De Munck J, Mattar D, Van Landuyt K, Lambrechts P (2003) Microtensile bond strengths of an etch&rinse and self-etch adhesive to enamel and dentin as a function of surface treatment. Oper Dent 28(5):647–660Google Scholar
- 11.Mazzoni A, Mannello F, Tay F, Tonti G, Papa S, Mazzotti G, Di Lenarda R, Pashley D, Breschi L (2007) Zymographic analysis and characterization of MMP-2 and -9 forms in human sound dentin. J Dent Res 86(6):792Google Scholar
- 16.Hass V, Luque-Martinez I, Munoz MA, Reyes MF, Abuna G, Sinhoreti MA, Liu AY, Loguercio AD, Wang Y, Reis A (2016) The effect of proanthocyanidin-containing 10% phosphoric acid on bonding properties and MMP inhibition. Dent Mater 32(3):468–475. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2015.12.007 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.International Organization for Standardization (ISO) (1994) Guidance on testing of adhesion to tooth structure. Int Organ Stand Geneva TR 11405:1–14Google Scholar
- 23.Moretto SG, Azambuja N Jr, Arana-Chavez VE, Reis AF, Giannini M, Eduardo Cde P, De Freitas PM (2011) Effects of ultramorphological changes on adhesion to lased dentin-scanning electron microscopy and transmission electron microscopy analysis. Microsc Res Tech 74(8):720–726. https://doi.org/10.1002/jemt.20949 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Tay F, Pashley D (2003) Have dentin adhesives become too hydrophilic? J Can Dent Assoc 69(11):726–731Google Scholar
- 38.Bedran-Russo AK, Pereira PN, Duarte WR, Drummond JL, Yamauchi M (2007) Application of Crosslinkers to Dentin Collagen Enhances the Ultimate Tensile Strength. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 80B:268–272. https://doi.org/10.1002/jbm.b.3059310.1002/jbmb
- 40.Tsujimoto A, Barkmeier WW, Takamizawa T, Watanabe H, Johnson WW, Latta MA, Miyazaki M (2017) Comparison between universal adhesives and two-step self-etch adhesives in terms of dentin bond fatigue durability in self-etch mode. Eur J Oral Sci 125(3):215–222. https://doi.org/10.1111/eos.12346 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 43.Thanatvarakorn O, Prasansuttiporn T, Takahashi M, Thittaweerat S, Foxton R, Ichinose S, Tagami J, Nakajima M (2016) Effect of scrubbing technique with mild self-etching adhesives on dentin bond strengths and Nanoleakage expression. J Adhes Dent 18(3):197–204. https://doi.org/10.3290/j.jad.a36033 Google Scholar
- 44.Silva A, Melo P, Ferreira J, Oliveira T, Gutknecht N (2016) Evaluation of a self-adhesive composite in dentin surfaces - preparation with Er,Cr:YSGG laser. Int Mag Laser Dent 1:12–16Google Scholar
- 46.Yang B, Adelung R, Ludwig K, Bossmann K, Pashley DH, Kern M (2005) Effect of structural change of collagen fibrils on the durability of dentin bonding. Biomaterials 26(24):5021–5031. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2005.01.024 CrossRefGoogle Scholar