Protocol encompassing ultrasound/Fe3O4 nanoparticles/persulfate for the removal of tetracycline antibiotics from aqueous environments
- 105 Downloads
The presence of residual antibiotics in the environment is one of the major global concerns, and it is imperative to control their discharge in water bodies. The present study used a combination of Fe3O4 nanoparticles/persulfate in conjunction with ultrasound to address this problem; the influence of effective parameters in the remediation process, persulfate concentration, nanoparticle concentrations, initial antibiotic concentration, contact time and pH was investigated. The highest removal rate of tetracycline antibiotic was observed at pH 10, the amount of magnetic nanoparticles being (0.3 g/L), with persulfate concentration at 4 mM for the removal of antibiotic concentration at 10 mg/L; TC and COD removal efficiency is 92.99 and 79.85%, respectively. The deployment of sonocatalytic process, along with the use of magnetite nanoparticles and persulfates as oxidizing agents, appears to be an effective means for decreasing the high-level tetracycline concentration in water.
KeywordsFe3O4 nanoparticles Tetracycline Ultrasonic wave Persulfate AOPs
The authors express their gratitude for the support and assistance extended by the facilitators during the research.
All authors have contributed different sections and studies in this review article.
Complice with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The author declares no competing financial interests.
- Bahadir T, Celebi H, Simsek I, Tulun S (2019) Antibiotic applications in fish farms and environmental problems. Turk J Eng 3:60–67Google Scholar
- Feiz-Arefi M, Ghorbani-Shahna F, Bahrami A, Ebrahimi H, Mahjub A (2019) Photocatalytic removal of methylbenzene vapors by MnO2/Al2O3/Fe2O3 nano composite. Iran J Health Saf Environ 6:1158–1166Google Scholar
- Khachatourians GG (1998) Agricultural use of antibiotics and the evolution and transfer of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. CMAJ 159:1129–1136Google Scholar
- Khatami M, Alijani HQ, Fakheri B, Mobasseri MM, Heydarpour M, Farahani ZK, Khan AU (2019) Super-paramagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles (SPIONs): greener synthesis using Stevia plant and evaluation of its antioxidant properties. J Clean Prod 208:1171–1177. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.10.182 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Malakootian M, Gharaghani MA, Dehdarirad A, Khatami M, Ahmadian M, Heidari MR, Mahdizadeh H (2019) ZnO nanoparticles immobilized on the surface of stones to study the removal efficiency of 4-nitroaniline by the hybrid advanced oxidation process (UV/ZnO/O3). J Mol Struct 1176:766–776. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molstruc.2018.09.033 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rahdar S, Ahmadi S (2019) The removal of amoxicillin with Zno nanoparticles in combination with US-H2O2 advanced oxidation processes from aqueous solutions. Iran J Health Sci 7:36–45Google Scholar
- Torkzadeh-Mahani R, Foroughi MM, Jahani S, Kazemipour M, Hassani Nadiki H (2019) The effect of ultrasonic irradiation on the morphology of NiO/Co3O4 nanocomposite and its application to the simultaneous electrochemical determination of droxidopa and carbidopa. Ultrason Sonochem 56:183–192. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultsonch.2019.04.002 CrossRefGoogle Scholar