Evaluation of Bio-Rad® discs for antimicrobial susceptibility testing by disc diffusion and the ADAGIO™ system for the automatic reading and interpretation of results
- 36 Downloads
The disc diffusion test is used for antimicrobial susceptibility testing worldwide. In this study, the performance of both Bio-Rad® antibiotic discs (as compared with Oxoid® discs) and the ADAGIO™ automated system for the reading of disc diffusion test results was evaluated with American Type Culture Collection (ATCC) quality control (QC) and wild strains of bacteria. Inhibition zones of both disc brands were read manually and through use of the ADAGIO™ system. Categorized interpretation of the results for each strain and antibiotic combination was summarized according to the Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute MS-100 (2017 update) manual and ADAGIO™ readings. Eight ATCC QC strains and 120 different wild strains were evaluated, to give a total of 1226 antibiotic/bacteria combinations and 2486 manual readings. One major error and four minor errors (0.08% and 0.34%, respectively) were detected via manual readings of the Bio-Rad® discs as compared with the Oxoid® discs. For the same number of antibiotic/bacteria combinations, five minor errors and one major error (0.42% and 0.08%, respectively) were detected with the Bio-Rad® discs read by the ADAGIO™ system. In addition, the number of times the automatic reading needed manual edition with Bio-Rad® discs was statistically lower than it did with Oxoid® discs (3.7% vs. 5.7%, p < 0.05). These findings support the hypothesis that Bio-Rad discs are not inferior to Oxoid® discs, and the performance of the ADAGIO™ system is comparable to that of manual readings with both disc brands.
KeywordsAntibiotic discs Antibiotic susceptibility test Disc diffusion Drug resistance
- 2.Périllaud C, Pilmis B, Diep J, de Ponfilly GP, Vidal B, Couzigou C, Mizrahi A, Lourtet-Hascoët J, Le Monnier A, Nguyen Van JC (2019) Prospective evaluation of rapid antimicrobial susceptibility testing by disk diffusion on Mueller-Hinton rapid-SIR directly on blood cultures. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 93(1):14–21CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Chandrasekaran S, Abbott AN, Campeau S, Zimmer BL, Weinstein MP, Thrupp L, Hejna J, Walker L, Ammann T, Kirn TJ, Patel R, Humphries RM (2018) Direct-from-blood-culture disk diffusion to determine antimicrobial susceptibility of gram-negative bacteria: preliminary report from the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute methods development and standardization working group. J Clin Microbiol 56(3):e01678–e01617CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Lestari ES, Severin JA, Filius PMG, Kuntaman K, Offra Duerink D, Hadi U, Wahjono H, Verbrugh HA (2008) Comparison of the accuracy of disk diffusion zone diameters obtained by manual zone measurements to that by automated zone measurements to determine antimicrobial susceptibility. J Microbiol Methods 75(2):177–181CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Weinstein MP, Patel JB, Campeau S, et al. (2018) Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing M100 (28th edn) A Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute publication. http://homenew.clalit.org.il/sites/Communities/logi/rechesh/Reagent/CLSI/M100Ed28E.pdf Wayne USA. www.clsi.org. Accessed 1 Apr 2018.