Comparison of in vitro activity of the nitroimidazoles delamanid and pretomanid against multidrug-resistant and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis
Delamanid exhibited greater in vitro potency than pretomanid against multidrug-resistant (MDR-) and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR-TB) isolates. The pretomanid minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) values of four MDR-TB isolates were found to be resistant to delamanid ranging from 0.031 to 0.063 mg/L. A novel nonsynonymous mutation within the fbiA gene (Glu249Lys) may be contributing to high-level resistance to delamanid and pretomanid in Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
KeywordsMycobacterium tuberculosis Delamanid Pretomanid Susceptibility Minimum inhibitory concentration
We thank the staff from the National Clinical Laboratory on Tuberculosis for their technical assistance.
SW, WJ, NC, YP, and HH designed this study. SW, WJ, TZ, ZZ, and YX performed the experiments. SW, WJ, YS, FW, and YP interpreted the data. SW, TZ, NC, YP, and HH wrote the manuscript. All authors approved the final version of the paper.
This study was supported by the Beijing Talents Foundation (2017000021223ZK39), the Beijing Municipal Administration of Hospitals’ Youth Programme (QML20171601), the Beijing Municipal Administration of Hospitals’ Ascent Plan (DFL20151501 and DFL20181602), and the Beijing Municipal Administration of Hospitals Clinical Medicine Development of Special Funding Support (ZYLX201809).
- 2.Haver HL, Chua A, Ghode P, Lakshminarayana SB, Singhal A, Mathema B, Wintjens R, Bifani P (2015) Mutations in genes for the F420 biosynthetic pathway and a nitroreductase enzyme are the primary resistance determinants in spontaneous in vitro-selected PA-824-resistant mutants of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 59:5316–5323CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Lee SFK, Laughon BE, Mchugh TD, Lipman M (2019) New drugs to treat difficult tuberculous and nontuberculous mycobacterial pulmonary disease. Curr Opin Pulm MedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Pang Y, Zong Z, Huo F, Jing W, Ma Y, Dong L, Li Y, Zhao L, Fu Y, Huang H (2017) In vitro drug susceptibility of bedaquiline, delamanid, linezolid, clofazimine, moxifloxacin, and gatifloxacin against extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in Beijing, China. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 61Google Scholar
- 7.Shi J, Lu J, Wen S, Zong Z, Huo F, Luo J, Liang Q, Li Y, Huang H, Pang Y (2018) In vitro activity of PBTZ169 against multiple Mycobacterium species. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 62Google Scholar
- 8.Stinson K, Kurepina N, Venter A, Fujiwara M, Kawasaki M, Timm J, Shashkina E, Kreiswirth BN, Liu Y, Matsumoto M, Geiter L (2016) MIC of delamanid (OPC-67683) against Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical isolates and a proposed critical concentration. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 60:3316–3322CrossRefGoogle Scholar