Whole-genome sequencing data-based modeling for the investigation of an outbreak of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a neonatal intensive care unit in Hong Kong
- 451 Downloads
We describe a nosocomial outbreak of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) ST59-SCCmec type V in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) in Hong Kong. In-depth epidemiological analysis was performed by whole-genome sequencing (WGS) of the CA-MRSA isolates collected from patients and environment during weekly surveillance and healthcare workers from the later phase of the outbreak. Case–control analysis was performed to analyze potential risk factors for the outbreak. The outbreak occurred from September 2017 to February 2018 involving 15 neonates and one healthcare worker. WGS analysis revealed complicated transmission dynamics between patients, healthcare worker, and environment, from an unrecognized source introduced into the NICU within 6 months before the outbreak. In addition to enforcement of directly observed hand hygiene, environmental disinfection, cohort nursing of colonized and infected patients, together with contact tracing for secondary patients, medical, nursing, and supporting staff were segregated where one team would care for CA-MRSA-confirmed/CA-MRSA-exposed patients and the other for newly admitted patients in the NICU only. Case–control analysis revealed use of cephalosporins [odds ratio 49.84 (3.10–801.46), p = 0.006] and length of hospitalization [odds ratio 1.02 (1.00–1.04), p = 0.013] as significant risk factors for nosocomial acquisition of CA-MRSA in NICU using multivariate analysis. WGS facilitates the understanding of transmission dynamics of an outbreak, providing insights for outbreak prevention.
KeywordsWhole-genome sequencing Outbreak Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus Neonatal intensive care unit
Genomic sequences of the CA-MRSA isolates in this work have been deposited in the GenBank under BioProject number PRJNA493547.
This study was partially supported by grants from the Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF), Food and Health Bureau, Hong Kong SAR Government (HKM-15-M10 and HKM-15-M12), and Seed Fund for Basic Research, University Research Committee, University of Hong Kong.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Ethical approval was not required because the infection control measures are the standard patient care to control and prevent hospital outbreak.
No informed consent was required since this was a retrospective analysis of data.
- 2.Kaya H, Hasman H, Larsen J, Stegger M, Johannesen TB, Allesoe RL, Lemvigh CK, Aarestrup FM, Lund O, Larsen AR. (2018) SCCmecFinder, a Web-Based Tool for Typing of Staphylococcal CassetteChromosome mec in Staphylococcus aureus Using Whole-Genome Sequence Data. mSphere, 3(1): e00612-17Google Scholar
- 3.Sassi M, Felden B, Revest M, Tattevin P, Augagneur Y, Donnio PY (2017) An outbreak in intravenous drug users due to USA300 Latin-American variant community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in France as early as 2007. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 36(12):2495–2501PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Cheng VC, Lau YK, Lee KL, Yiu KH, Chan KH, Ho PL, Yuen KY (2009) Fatal co-infection with swine origin influenza virus a/H1N1 and community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. J Inf Secur 59(5):366–370Google Scholar
- 6.Ho PL, Chuang SK, Choi YF, Lee RA, Lit AC, Ng TK, Que TL, Shek KC, Tong HK, Tse CW, Tung WK, Yung RW, CAMsn HK (2008) Community-associated methicillin-resistant and methicillin-sensitive Staphylococcus aureus: skin and soft tissue infections in Hong Kong. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 61(3):245–250PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Ho PL, Lo PY, Chow KH, Lau EH, Lai EL, Cheng VC, Kao RY (2010) Vancomycin MIC creep in MRSA isolates from 1997 to 2008 in a healthcare region in Hong Kong. J Inf Secur 60(2):140–145Google Scholar
- 8.Ho PL, Chiu SS, Chan MY, Gan Y, Chow KH, Lai EL, Lau YL (2012) Molecular epidemiology and nasal carriage of Staphylococcus aureus and methicillin-resistant S. aureus among young children attending day care centers and kindergartens in Hong Kong. J Inf Secur 64(5):500–506Google Scholar
- 9.Cheng VC, Tai JW, Wong LM, Ching RH, Ng MM, Ho SK, Lee DW, Li WS, Lee WM, Sridhar S, Wong SC, Ho PL, Yuen KY (2015) Effect of proactive infection control measures on benchmarked rate of hospital outbreaks: an analysis of public hospitals in Hong Kong over 5 years. Am J Infect Control 43(9):965–970PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Cheng VCC, Chen JHK, Wong SCY, Leung SSM, So SYC, Lung DC, Lee WM, Trendell-Smith NJ, Chan WM, Ng D, To L, Lie AKW, Yuen KY (2016) Hospital outbreak of pulmonary and cutaneous Zygomycosis due to contaminated linen items from substandard laundry. Clin Infect Dis 62(6):714–721PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Cheng VC, Tai JW, Wong ZS, Chen JH, Pan KB, Hai Y, Ng WC, Chow DM, Yau MC, Chan JF, Wong SC, Tse H, Chan SS, Tsui KL, Chan FH, Ho PL, Yuen KY (2013) Transmission of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the long term care facilities in Hong Kong. BMC Infect Dis 13:205PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Ho PL, Wang Y, Liu MC, Lai EL, Law PY, Cao H, Chow KH. (2018) IncX3 Epidemic Plasmid Carrying blaNDM-5 in Escherichia coli from Swine in Multiple Geographic Areas in China. Antimicrob Agents Chemother, 62(3): e02295-17Google Scholar
- 20.Kossow A, Kampmeier S, Schaumburg F, Knaack D, Moellers M, Mellmann A. (2018) Whole genome sequencing reveals a prolonged and spatially spread nosocomial outbreak of Panton-Valentine leucocidinpositive meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (USA300). J Hosp Infect S0195-6701(18):30486-9Google Scholar
- 22.Jia B, Raphenya AR, Alcock B, Waglechner N, Guo P, Tsang KK, Lago BA, Dave BM, Pereira S, Sharma AN, Doshi S, Courtot M, Lo R, Williams LE, Frye JG, Elsayegh T, Sardar D, Westman EL, Pawlowski AC, Johnson TA, Brinkman FS, Wright GD, McArthur AG (2017) CARD 2017: expansion and model-centric curation of the comprehensive antibiotic resistance database. Nucleic Acids Res 45(D1):D566–D573PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Cheng VC, Wu AK, Cheung CH, Lau SK, Woo PC, Chan KH, Li KS, Ip IK, Dunn EL, Lee RA, Yam LY, Yuen KY (2007) Outbreak of human metapneumovirus infection in psychiatric inpatients: implications for directly observed use of alcohol hand rub in prevention of nosocomial outbreaks. J Hosp Infect 67(4):336–343PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.Cheng VCC, Wong SC, Wong SCY, Yuen KY. (2018) Directly observed hand hygiene - from healthcare workers to patients. J Hosp Infect S0195-6701(18):30671-6Google Scholar
- 36.Cheng VC, Chen JH, Poon RW, Lee WM, So SY, Wong SC, Chau PH, Yip CC, Wong SS, Chan JF, Hung IF, Ho PL, Yuen KY (2015) Control of hospital endemicity of multiple-drug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii ST457 with directly observed hand hygiene. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 34(4):713–718PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 37.Cheng VC, Tai JW, Li WS, Chau PH, So SY, Wong LM, Ching RH, Ng MM, Ho SK, Lee DW, Lee WM, Wong SC, Yuen KY (2016) Implementation of directly observed patient hand hygiene for hospitalized patients by hand hygiene ambassadors in Hong Kong. Am J Infect Control 44(6):621–624PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 38.Cheng VC, Tai JW, Chau PH, Lai CK, Chuang VW, So SY, Wong SC, Chen JH, Ho PL, Tsang DN, Yuen KY (2016) Successful control of emerging vancomycin-resistant enterococci by territory-wide implementation of directly observed hand hygiene in patients in Hong Kong. Am J Infect Control 44(10):1168–1171PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 44.Orendi JM, Coetzee N, Ellington MJ, Boakes E, Cookson BD, Hardy KJ, Hawkey PM, Kearns AM (2010) Community and nosocomial transmission of Panton-valentine leucocidin-positive community-associated meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: implications for healthcare. J Hosp Infect 75(4):258–264PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 47.Hsu LY, Harris SR, Chlebowicz MA, Lindsay JA, Koh TH, Krishnan P, Tan TY, Hon PY, Grubb WB, Bentley SD, Parkhill J, Peacock SJ, Holden MT (2015) Evolutionary dynamics of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus within a healthcare system. Genome Biol 16:81PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar