Ventilator-associated pneumonia with or without toothbrushing: a randomized controlled trial
- 2.6k Downloads
Certain guidelines for the prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP) recommend oral care with chlorhexidine, but none refer to the use of a toothbrush for oral hygiene. The role of toothbrush use has received scant attention. Thus, the objective of this study was to compare the incidence of VAP in critical care patients receiving oral care with and without manual brushing of the teeth. This was a randomized clinical trial developed in a 24-bed medical-surgical intensive care unit (ICU). Patients undergoing invasive mechanical ventilation for than 24 h were included. Patients were randomly assigned to receive oral care with or without toothbrushing. All patients received oral care with 0.12 % chlorhexidine digluconate. Tracheal aspirate samples were obtained during endotracheal intubation, then twice a week, and, finally, on extubation. There were no significant differences between the two groups of patients in the baseline characteristics. We found no statistically significant differences between the groups regarding the incidence of VAP (21 of 217 [9.7 %] with toothbrushing vs. 24 of 219 [11.0 %] without toothbrushing; odds ratio [OR] = 0.87, 95 % confidence interval [CI] = 0.469–1.615; p = 0.75). Adding manual toothbrushing to chlorhexidine oral care does not help to prevent VAP in critical care patients on mechanical ventilation.
This study was supported, in part, by a grant from Instituto de Salud Carlos III (I3SNS-INT-11-063) (Madrid, Spain).
The authors do not have any financial interests to disclose.
- 16.Sona CS, Zack JE, Schallom ME, McSweeney M, McMullen K, Thomas J, Coopersmith CM, Boyle WA, Buchman TG, Mazuski JE, Schuerer DJ (2009) The impact of a simple, low-cost oral care protocol on ventilator-associated pneumonia rates in a surgical intensive care unit. J Intensive Care Med 24:54–62PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Masterton RG, Galloway A, French G, Street M, Armstrong J, Brown E, Cleverley J, Dilworth P, Fry C, Gascoigne AD, Knox A, Nathwani D, Spencer R, Wilcox M (2008) Guidelines for the management of hospital-acquired pneumonia in the UK: report of the working party on hospital-acquired pneumonia of the British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. J Antimicrob Chemother 62:5–34PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Coffin SE, Klompas M, Classen D, Arias KM, Podgorny K, Anderson DJ, Burstin H, Calfee DP, Dubberke ER, Fraser V, Gerding DN, Griffin FA, Gross P, Kaye KS, Lo E, Marschall J, Mermel LA, Nicolle L, Pegues DA, Perl TM, Saint S, Salgado CD, Weinstein RA, Wise R, Yokoe DS (2008) Practice recommendation of Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America/Infectious Diseases Society of America (SHEA/IDSA). Strategies to prevent ventilator-associated pneumonia in acute care hospitals. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 29(Suppl 1):S31–S40PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Vincent JL, Moreno R, Takala J, Willatts S, De Mendonça A, Bruining H, Reinhart CK, Suter PM, Thijs LG (1996) The SOFA (Sepsis-related Organ Failure Assessment) score to describe organ dysfunction/failure. On behalf of the Working Group on Sepsis-Related Problems of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine. Intensive Care Med 22:707–710PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 40.Heo SM, Haase EM, Lesse AJ, Gill SR, Scannapieco FA (2008) Genetic relationships between respiratory pathogens isolated from dental plaque and bronchoalveolar lavage fluid from patients in the intensive care unit undergoing mechanical ventilation. Clin Infect Dis 47:1562–1570PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 43.Fourrier F, Dubois D, Pronnier P, Herbecq P, Leroy O, Desmettre T, Pottier-Cau E, Boutigny H, Di Pompéo C, Durocher A, Roussel-Delvallez M; PIRAD Study Group (2005) Effect of gingival and dental plaque antiseptic decontamination on nosocomial infections acquired in the intensive care unit: a double-blind placebo-controlled multicenter study. Crit Care Med 33:1728–1735PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 48.Needleman IG, Hirsch NP, Leemans M, Moles DR, Wilson M, Ready DR, Ismail S, Ciric L, Shaw MJ, Smith M, Garner A, Wilson S (2011) Randomized controlled trial of toothbrushing to reduce ventilator-associated pneumonia pathogens and dental plaque in a critical care unit. J Clin Periodontol 38:246–252PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 56.Rello J, Afonso E, Lisboa T, Ricart M, Balsera B, Rovira A, Valles J, Diaz E; FADO Project Investigators (2012) A care bundle approach for prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Clin Microbiol Infect (accepted for publication). doi: 10.1111/j.1469-0691.2012.03808.x