Listeriosis in pregnancy: a secular trend in a tertiary referral hospital in Barcelona
- 266 Downloads
The purpose of this study was to describe the variation in listeriosis infection incidence during pregnancy over a 25-year period based on salient clinical and laboratory features compiled in a tertiary referral hospital and to depict the clinical characteristics of these cases. A cohort was created of all cases of listeriosis in pregnant women or their neonates (early-onset form) diagnosed between 1985 and 2010. Forty-three cases of perinatal listeriosis were diagnosed among the 82,320 hospitalised pregnant women (incidence 0.5‰). Whereas the incidence remained almost constant at 0.24‰ until 2000, an increasing incidence was observed from then on, reaching 0.86‰ during the last years of the study period. A four-fold increase in listeriosis rate during pregnancy has occurred in recent years, with poorer outcome for those cases occurring before 28 weeks and for those in which early antibiotic treatment was not provided. These results should raise the awareness of the agencies and professionals involved in prenatal care.
KeywordsListeria Neonatal Sepsis Chorioamnionitis Listeriosis Tertiary Referral Hospital
We thank the Hospital obgyn residents, neonatologists and microbiologists for collecting patient data and processing the samples.
Conflict of interest statement
We declare that we have no conflict of interest.
- 1.CDC (2010) Preliminary FoodNet data on the incidence of infection with pathogens transmitted commonly through food - 10 states, 2009. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 59(14):418Google Scholar
- 3.CDC (2010) Annual epidemiological report on communicable diseases in Europe 2010. European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, Solna, SwedenGoogle Scholar
- 4.CDC (2009) Annual epidemiological report on communicable diseases in Europe 2009, revised edition. European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, Solna, SwedenGoogle Scholar
- 10.Brunet O, Lèzine L (1955) Echelle de développment psychologique de la prèmiere enfance Manuel d’instruction [Scale development project of the first psychological children's instruction manual]. Editions Scientifiques et Psychotechniques, Clamart, SeineGoogle Scholar
- 14.López LGL, Martínez I, Aguirrebengoa K, Valls A, Hernández JL, Alkorta M et al (2007) Listeriosis. Estudio de 16 años en un hospital terciario en España [Listeriosis. 16-year study in a tertiary hospital in Spain]. Rev Panam Infectol 9(2):30–37Google Scholar