Posaconazole salvage treatment in paediatric patients: a multicentre survey
- 557 Downloads
While a paediatric dosage has not been defined, posaconazole is occasionally being used in children. We conducted a multicentre retrospective survey and identified 15 patients (median age 10 years [range 3.6–17.5]) who received posaconazole salvage therapy for proven (9 patients) or probable (6 patients) invasive fungal infections. Posaconazole was administered for a median of 32 days (range 4–262) at a median dosage of 21 mg/kg (range 4.8–33.3). None of the patients discontinued therapy due to adverse events, which were mostly mild and observed in 11 patients. Complete or partial responses were observed in 4/7 patients with zygomycosis, 3/4 patients with invasive mould infection, 1/2 patients with invasive aspergillosis and 1/2 patients with chronic disseminated candidiasis. We conclude from the data that posaconazole displays favourable safety and tolerance and may be useful for management of individual paediatric patients with invasive infections.
KeywordsInvasive Aspergillosis Caspofungin Posaconazole Chronic Granulomatous Disease Invasive Fungal Infection
Conflict of interest
TL has received grants from Gilead; he is a consultant to Gilead, Merck, Sharp & Dohme and Schering-Plough, and served at the speakers’ bureau of Astellas, Gilead, Merck, Sharp & Dohme and Schering-Plough. AHG has received grants from Gilead and Merck, Sharp & Dohme; he is a consultant to Astellas, Gilead, Merck, Sharp & Dohme and Schering-Plough, and has served at the speakers’ bureau of Astellas, Gilead, Merck, Sharp & Dohme, Pfizer, Schering-Plough and Zeneus/Cephalon. All other authors have nothing to declare.
None to declare.
- 1.De Pauw B, Walsh TJ, Donnelly JP, Stevens DA, Edwards JE, Calandra T, Pappas PG, Maertens J, Lortholary O, Kauffman CA, Denning DW, Patterson TF, Maschmeyer G, Bille J, Dismukes WE, Herbrecht R, Hope WW, Kibbler CC, Kullberg BJ, Marr KA, Munoz P, Odds FC, Perfect JR, Restrepo A, Ruhnke M, Segal BH, Sobel JD, Sorrell TC, Viscoli C, Wingard JR, Zaoutis T, Bennett JE (2008) Revised definitions of invasive fungal disease from the European organization for research and treatment of cancer/invasive fungal infections cooperative group and the national institute of allergy and infectious diseases mycoses study group (EORTC/MSG) consensus group. Clin Infect Dis 46:1813–1821CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 2.Maertens J, Raad I, Petrikkos G, Boogaerts M, Selleslag D, Petersen FB, Sable CA, Kartsonis NA, Ngai A, Taylor A, Patterson TF, Denning DW, Walsh TJ (2004) Efficacy and safety of caspofungin for treatment of invasive aspergillosis in patients refractory to or intolerant of conventional antifungal therapy. Clin Infect Dis 39:1563–1571CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.National Cancer Institution (NCI) Common Toxicity Criteria version 3.0 (2006) Common terminology criteria for adverse events v3.0 (CTCAE). Available at http://ctep.cancer.gov/protocolDevelopment/electronic_applications/docs/ctcaev3.pdf. Accessed October 12, 2009.
- 4.Cornely OA, Maertens J, Winston DJ, Perfect J, Ullmann AJ, Walsh TJ, Helfgott D, Holowiecki J, Stockelberg D, Goh YT, Petrini M, Hardalo C, Suresh R, Angulo-Gonzalez D (2007) Posaconazole vs. fluconazole or itraconazole prophylaxis in patients with neutropenia. N Engl J Med 356:348–359CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Ullmann AJ, Lipton JH, Vesole DH, Chandrasekar P, Langston A, Tarantolo SR, Greinix H, Morais de Azevedo W, Reddy V, Boparai N, Pedicone L, Patino H, Durrant S (2007) Posaconazole or fluconazole for prophylaxis in severe graft-versus-host disease. N Engl J Med 356:335–347CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Greenberg RN, Mullane K, van Burik JA, Raad I, Abzug MJ, Anstead G, Herbrecht R, Langston A, Marr KA, Schiller G, Schuster M, Wingard JR, Gonzalez CE, Revankar SG, Corcoran G, Kryscio RJ, Hare R (2006) Posaconazole as salvage therapy for zygomycosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:126–133CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Raad II, Hanna HA, Boktour M, Jiang Y, Torres HA, Afif C, Kontoyiannis DP, Hachem RY (2008) Novel antifungal agents as salvage therapy for invasive aspergillosis in patients with hematologic malignancies: posaconazole compared with high-dose lipid formulations of amphotericin B alone or in combination with caspofungin. Leukemia 22:496–503CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Walsh TJ, Raad I, Patterson TF, Chandrasekar P, Donowitz GR, Graybill R, Greene RE, Hachem R, Hadley S, Herbrecht R, Langston A, Louie A, Ribaud P, Segal BH, Stevens DA, van Burik JA, White CS, Corcoran G, Gogate J, Krishna G, Pedicone L, Hardalo C, Perfect JR (2007) Treatment of invasive aspergillosis with posaconazole in patients who are refractory to or intolerant of conventional therapy: an externally controlled trial. Clin Infect Dis 44:2–12CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar