MRSA detection: comparison of two molecular methods (BD GeneOhm® PCR assay and Easy-Plex) with two selective MRSA agars (MRSA-ID and Oxoid MRSA) for nasal swabs
- 241 Downloads
Screening of patients is an important component for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) containment. The aim of this study was to determine the utility of molecular methods compared to selective agars for MRSA detection. Consecutive high risk patients (n = 200) were screened for nasal MRSA colonization using chromogenic selective agars (MRSA ID and CMRSA) as well as the BD GeneOhm MRSA (previously known as IDI-MRSA) and the Easy-Plex commercial real time PCR assays. The sensitivities of the molecular methods were similar to the BD GeneOhm MRSA (86%) and Easy-Plex (84%). The chromogenic agars, MRSA ID and CMRSA, showed sensitivities of 62% and 84%, respectively. Sensitivity was influenced by both the MRSA antibiograms and MRSA clonal type. The specificity was >98% in all methods except for the Easy-Plex assay (90%). Sensitivity of selective agars increased with 48 hours of incubation with a corresponding decrease in specificity. In conclusion, molecular detection methods for MRSA remain sensitive and rapid but are associated with greater expense.
KeywordsSelective Agar Nasal Swab mecA Gene Selective Agar Plate Infection Control Resource
We thank Thelma Barbagiannakos and A/Professor Ian Gosbell for the MRSA typing.
- 6.Wernitz MH, Swidsinski S, Weist K, Sohr D, Witte W, Franke KP et al (2005) Effectiveness of a hospital-wide selective screening programme for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) carriers at hospital admission to prevent hospital-acquired MRSA infections. Clin Microbiol Infect 11(6):457–465. doi: 10.1111/j.1469–0691.2005.01152.x PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards (2005) Performance standards for antimicrobial susceptibility testing; fifteenth informational supplement, M2-A8 and M7-A6, Wayne, PAGoogle Scholar
- 15.Kondo Y, Ito T, Ma XX, Watanabe S, Kreiswirth BN, Etienne J et al (2007) Combination of multiplex PCRs for staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec type assignment: rapid identification system for mec, ccr, and major differences in junkyard regions. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51(1):264–274. doi: 10.1128/AAC.00165-06 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Desjardins M, Guibord C, Lalonde B, Toye B, Ramotar K (2006) Evaluation of the IDI-MRSA assay for detection of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from nasal and rectal specimens pooled in a selective broth. J Clin Microbiol 44(4):1219–1223. doi: 10.1128/JCM.44.4.1219-1223.2006 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Huletsky A, Giroux R, Rossbach V, Gagnon M, Vaillancourt M, Bernier M et al (2004) New real-time PCR assay for rapid detection of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus directly from specimens containing a mixture of staphylococci. J Clin Microbiol 42(5):1875–1884. doi: 10.1128/JCM.42.5.1875-1884.2004 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Malhotra-Kumar S, Haccuria K, Michiels M, Ieven M, Poyart C, Hryniewicz W et al (2008) Current trends in rapid diagnostics for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and glycopeptide-resistant enterococcus species. J Clin Microbiol 46(5):1577–1587. doi: 10.1128/JCM.00326-08 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Farley JE, Stamper PD, Ross T, Cai M, Speser S, Carroll KC (2008) Comparison of the BD GeneOhm methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) PCR assay to culture by use of BBL CHROMagar MRSA for detection of MRSA in nasal surveillance cultures from an at-risk community population. J Clin Microbiol 46(2):743–746. doi: 10.1128/JCM.02071-07 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.van Hal SJ, Stark D, Lockwood B, Marriott D, Harkness J (2007) Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) detection: comparison of two molecular methods (IDI-MRSA PCR assay and GenoType MRSA Direct PCR assay) with three selective MRSA agars (MRSA ID, MRSASelect, and CHROMagar MRSA) for use with infection-control swabs. J Clin Microbiol 45(8):2486–2490. doi: 10.1128/JCM.00139-07 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Wernitz MH, Keck S, Swidsinski S, Schulz S, Veit SK (2005) Cost analysis of a hospital-wide selective screening programme for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) carriers in the context of diagnosis related groups (DRG) payment. Clin Microbiol Infect 11(6):466–471. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-0691.2005.01153.x PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar