Simultaneous determination of shear strength and shear modulus in glued-laminated timber using a full-scale shear block specimen
- 222 Downloads
A newly developed full-scale shear block specimen was used to simultaneously determine the shear strength and shear modulus of glued-laminated timber. The shear modulus was calculated using the shear strain distribution measured by means of digital image correlation. To obtain the exact relationship between shear modulus and shear strength, the shear strain in the intended shear plane was measured. A relatively high correlation coefficient of 0.75 was found between the shear modulus and nominal shear strength in two types of glued-laminated timber tested: sugi (Cryptomeria japonica) and Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii). Good correlation was also found between the density of middle lamina and shear strength. However, the relationships to density showed species dependence, which was not observed in the relationship between shear modulus and shear strength.
Key wordsFull-scale shear block specimen Digital image correlation Shear modulus Shear strength Gluedlaminated timber
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Okkonen EA, River BH (1989) Factors affecting the strength of block-shear specimens. For Prod J 39:43–50Google Scholar
- 2.Soltis LA, Rammer DR (1994) Shear strength of unchecked glued-laminated beams. For Prod J 44:51–57Google Scholar
- 3.Ido H, Nagao H, Kato H (2004) Evaluation of shear strength of sugi (Cryptomeria japonica) lumber using a full-scale block-shear test jig (in Japanese). Mokuzai Gakkaishi 50:220–227Google Scholar
- 4.Müller U, Sretenovic A, Gindl W, Teischinger A (2004) Longitudinal shear properties of European larch wood related to cell-wall structure. Wood Fiber Sci 36:143–151Google Scholar
- 5.Sretenovic A, Müller U, Gindl W, Teishinger A (2004) New shear assay for the simultaneous determination of shear strength and shear modulus in solid wood: finite element modeling and experimental results. Wood Fiber Sci 36:302–310Google Scholar
- 6.Divos F, Tanaka T, Nagao H, Kato H (1998) Determination of shear modulus on construction size timber. Wood Sci Technol 32:393–402Google Scholar
- 9.Popov EP (1998) Engineering mechanics of solids. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJGoogle Scholar