Validation of the Italian version of the PSP Quality of Life questionnaire
Progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) is a rare rapidly progressive, neurodegenerative disease characterized by falls and ocular movement disturbances. The use of health-related quality of life (HR-QoL) measures allows assessing changes in health status induced by therapeutic interventions or disease progress in neurodegenerative diseases. The PSP-QoL is a 45-item, self-administered questionnaire designed to evaluate HR-QoL in PSP.
Methods and Results
Here, the PSP-QoL was translated into Italian and validated in 190 PSP (96 women and 94 men; mean age ± standard deviation, 72 ± 6.5; mean disease duration, 4.2 ± 2.3) patients diagnosed according to the Movement Disorder Society criteria and recruited in 16 third level movement disorders centers participating in the Neurecanet project. The mean PSP-QoL total score was 77.8 ± 37 (physical subscore, 46.5 ± 18.7; mental subscore, 33.6 ± 19.2). The internal consistency was high (Cronbach’s alpha = 0.954); corrected item-total correlation was > 0.40 for the majority of items. The significant and moderate correlation of the PSP-QoL with other HR-QoL measures as well as with motor and disability assessments indicated adequate convergent validity of the scale. Gender and geographic location presented a significant impact on the PSP-QoL in our sample with women and patients from the South of Italy scoring higher than their counterparts.
In conclusion, the Italian version of the PSP-QoL is an easy, reliable and valid tool for assessment of HR-QoL in PSP.
KeywordsParkinsonism Progressive supranuclear palsy Quality of life Clinical trials
The EuroQoL questionnaire
The EuroQoL Visual Analogue Scale
The Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale
Health-related Quality of Life
Movement Disorder Society
Montreal Cognitive Assessment
Progressive supranuclear palsy
Progressive Supranuclear Palsy Quality of Life Questionnaire
Progressive Supranuclear Palsy Rating Scale
The Schwab and England Scale
Visual Analogue Scale
Neurecanet project is an Italian Movement Disorders Network including 16 third level movement disorders centers coordinated by the CEMAND, University of Salerno (https://www.neurecanet.net), and supported by TEVA and Zambon.
We are grateful to the patients who participated in the study and to Susan Ainscough for the back translation of the PSP-QoL.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
The project was approved by the local Ethics committee.
- 4.Spilker B (1996) Introduction. In: Spilker B (ed) Quality of life and pharmacoeconomics in clinical trials, 2nd edn. Lippincot-Raven Publishers, Philadelphia, pp 1–10Google Scholar
- 5.Schrag A, Selai C, Quinn N, Lees A, Litvan I, Lang A, Poon Y, Bower J, Burn D, Hobart J (2006) Measuring quality of life in PSP. PSP-QoL Neurol 67:39–44Google Scholar
- 6.Acquadro C, Joyce CRB, Patrick DL, Ware JE, Wu AW, Scientific Advisory Committee (2004) Linguistic validation manual for patient reported outcomes (PRO) instruments. MAPI Research Trust, LyonGoogle Scholar
- 7.Höglinger GU, Respondek G, Stamelou M, Kurz C, Josephs KA, Lang AE, Mollenhauer B, Müller U, Nilsson C, JWhitwell JL, Arzberger T, Englund E, Gelpi E, Giese A, Irwin DJ, Meissner WG, Pantelyat A, Rajput A, van Swieten JC, Troakes C, Antonini A, Bhatia KP, Bordelon Y, Compta Y, Corvol JC, Colosimo C, Dickson DW, Dodel R, Ferguson L, Grossman M, Kassubek J, Krismer F, Levin J, Lorenzl S, Morris HR, Nestor P, Oertel WH, Poewe W, Rabinovici G, Rowe JB, Schellenberg GD, Seppi K, van Eimeren T, Wenning GK, Boxer AL, Golbe LI, Litvan I (2017) Clinical diagnosis of progressive supranuclear palsy: the Movement Disorder Society criteria. Mov Disord 32(6):853–864CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Nunnally JC, Bernstein IH (1994) Psychometric theory. McGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 14.Picillo M, Cuoco S, Amboni M, Bonifacio FP, Bruno A, Bruschi F, Cappiello A, De Micco R, De Rosa A, Di Biasio F, Elifani F, Erro R, Fabbri M, Falla M, Franco G, Frosini D, Galantucci S, Lazzeri G, Magistrelli L, Malaguti MC, Milner AV, Minafra B, Olivola E, Pilotto A, Rascunà C, Rizzetti MC, Schirinzi T, Borroni B, Ceravolo R, Di Fonzo A, Lopiano L, Marchese R, Mercuri NB, Modugno N, Nicoletti A, Padovani A, Santangelo G, Stefani A, Tessitore A, Volontè MA, Zangaglia R, Zappia M, Barone P. (2019) Validation of the Italian version of carers’ quality-of-life questionnaire for parkinsonism (PQoL Carer) in progressive supranuclear palsy. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10072-019-03944-x CrossRefGoogle Scholar