Attenuation of ALS progression during pregnancy—lessons to be learned or just a coincidence?
ALS is the most frequent motor neuron disorder in adults with suggested complex relationship regarding gender. Studies investigating ALS and hormones have provided varying results. ALS onset during pregnancy is uncommon and pregnancy after the ALS symptom onset is even rarer. We present three patients with the onset of ALS symptoms before or during pregnancy and propose a putative disease modifying mechanism leading to attenuation of disease progression that we observed during the pregnancies.
KeywordsALS Pregnancy Hormones Gender Immunomodulation FUS
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards. For this type of study, formal consent is not required.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants for whom identifying information is included in this article.
- 2.Manjaly, Z.R., Scott, K.M., Abhinav, K., Wijesekera, L., Ganesalingam, J., Goldstein, L.H., Janssen, A., Dougherty, A., Willey, E., Stanton, B.R., Turner, M.R., Ampong, M.-A., Sakel, M., Orrell, R.W., Howard, R., Shaw, C.E., Leigh, P.N., and Al-Chalabi, A., 2010. The sex ratio in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a population based study. Amyotroph Lateral Scler, 11 (5), 439–442Google Scholar
- 3.Blasco, H., Guennoc, A.-M., Veyrat-Durebex, C., Gordon, P.H., Andres, C.R., Camu, W., and Corcia, P., 2012. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a hormonal condition? Amyotroph Lateral Scler, 13 (6), 585–588Google Scholar
- 18.Waragai M, Yamada T, Moroo I (1993) [The distribution of androgen receptor like protein in the central nervous system of rat and human medulla and spinal cord–immunohistochemical study]. No To Shinkei 45(7):661–667Google Scholar
- 19.Male hypogonadism (2017) Springer Berlin Heidelberg, New York, NYGoogle Scholar
- 20.Zhang T, Wu Y-C, Mullane P, Ji YJ, Liu H, He L, Arora A, Hwang H-Y, Alessi AF, Niaki AG, Periz G, Guo L, Wang H, Elkayam E, Joshua-Tor L, Myong S, Kim JK, Shorter J, Ong S-E, Leung AKL, Wang J (2018) FUS regulates activity of microRNA-mediated gene silencing. Mol Cell 69(5):787–801.e8CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Yamaguchi A, Takanashi K (2016) FUS interacts with nuclear matrix-associated protein SAFB1 as well as Matrin3 to regulate splicing and ligand-mediated transcription. Sci Rep 6(1)Google Scholar
- 22.Amato MP, Bertolotto A, Brunelli R, Cavalla P, Goretti B, Marrosu MG, Patti F, Pozzilli C, Provinciali L, Rizzo N, Strobelt N, Tedeschi G, Trojano M, Comi G (2017 Oct) Management of pregnancy-related issues in multiple sclerosis patients: the need for an interdisciplinary approach. Neurol Sci 38(10):1849–1858CrossRefGoogle Scholar