Mesencephalic astrocyte-derived neurotrophic factor and its role in nervous system disease
- 382 Downloads
Mesencephalic astrocyte-derived neurotrophic factor (MANF) is a member of the novel evolutionary conserved neurotrophic factor (NTF) family. MANF has a unique structure and an unparalleled dual mode of action that differs from other known NTFs. Recent studies have shown that MANF protects cells from endoplasmic reticulum stress. In addition, an increasing number of studies have found MANF plays an important role in nervous system disease. This review focuses on MANF, summarizing its unique structure, potential signaling pathway, and role in neurological disease.
KeywordsNTF MANF Neurological disease
The authors received no funding for this study.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Lina Zhu, Deng Chen, Xu Da, Sihan Chen, and Ling Liu have nothing to disclose. We confirm that we have read the Journal’s position on issues involved in ethical publication and affirm that this report is consistent with those guidelines.
- 3.Glembotski CC, Thuerauf DJ, Huang C, Vekich JA, Gottlieb RA, Doroudgar S (2012) Mesencephalic astrocyte-derived neurotrophic factor protects the heart from ischemic damage and is selectively secreted upon sarco/endoplasmic reticulum calcium depletion. J Biol Chem 287(31):25893–25904CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 16.Latge C, Cabral KM, de Oliveira GA, Raymundo DP, Freitas JA, Johanson L et al (2015) The solution structure and dynamics of full-length human cerebral dopamine neurotrophic factor and its neuroprotective role against alpha-synuclein oligomers. J Biol Chem 290(33):20527–20540CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 33.Zhu W, Li J, Liu Y, Xie K, Wang L, Fang J (2016) Mesencephalic astrocyte-derived neurotrophic factor attenuates inflammatory responses in lipopolysaccharide-induced neural stem cells by regulating NF-kappaB and phosphorylation of p38-MAPKs pathways. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 38(3):205–213CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 45.Wang XY, Song MM, Bi SX, Shen YJ, Shen YX, Yu YQ (2016) MRI dynamically evaluates the therapeutic effect of recombinant human MANF on ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats. Int J Mol Sci 17:9Google Scholar
- 46.Wang XY, Song MM, Bi SX, Shen YJ, Shen YX, Yu YQ (2016) Chronic restraint stress promotes learning and memory impairment due to enhanced neuronal endoplasmic reticulum stress in the frontal cortex and hippocampus in male mice. Int J Mol Sci 17:9Google Scholar