Acute and prophylactic treatments for migraine: present and future
- 308 Downloads
Herein I will present general principles of acute-care and preventive therapy of migraine, both in the present and the future. Details of currently used migraine acute-care therapies with their contraindications, drug-drug interactions and adverse events will be presented. Details of migraine preventive therapies with their adverse events and drug-drug interactions will be discussed. Some over-the-counter vitamins, minerals and herbs, used as preventive therapy in migraine, will be discussed. Future treatments in the pipeline will be briefly detailed.
KeywordsMigraine Migraine acute therapy Migraine preventive therapy Headache treatment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Matchar DB, Young WB, Rosenberg JH et al (2000) Evidence-based guidelines for migraine headache in the primary care setting: pharmacological management of acute attacks. www.neurology.org. AprilGoogle Scholar
- 7.Klapper J, Stanton J (1991) The emergency treatment of acute migraine headache; a comparison of intravenous dihydroergota-mine, dexamethasone, and placebo. Cephalalgia 11[Suppl 11]:159–160Google Scholar
- 10.Kuzybski W (1992) Metamizole and hydrocortisone for the interruption of a migraine attack — preliminary study. Headache Q 3:326–328Google Scholar
- 11.Ramadan NM, Silberstein SD, Freitag FG et al (2000) Evidence-based guidelines for migraine headache in the primary care setting: pharmacological management for prevention of migraine. www.neurology.org. AprilGoogle Scholar
- 12.Weber RB, Reinmuth OM (1971) The treatment of migraine with propranolol. Neurology 21:404–405Google Scholar
- 22.Drake ME, Greathouse NI, Armentbright AD, Renner JB (2001) Preventive treatment of migraine with zonisamide. Cephalalgia 21:374Google Scholar
- 23.Krusz JC (2001) Levetiracetam as prophylaxis for resistant headaches. Cephalalgia 21:373Google Scholar
- 26.Peatfield R (1986) Drugs acting by modification os serotonin function. Headache 26:129–131Google Scholar
- 32.Lipton RB, Gobel H, Wilks K, Mauskop A (2002) Efficacy of petasites (an extract from petasites rhizone) 50 and 75 mg for prophylaxis of migraine: results of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Neurology 58[Suppl 3]:A472Google Scholar