Yield and quality characteristics of Korean red bean sprouts produced with different time of seed soaking
- 22 Downloads
This study was conducted to investigate the yield and quality characteristics of red bean sprouts of three cultivars (Arari, Geomguseul, and Chungju) soaked in water for 0, 6, 12 or 24 h. The sprout yields of ‘Arari’ and ‘Geomguseul’ on day 7 were highest with the seeds soaked for 12 h. For ‘Chungju’, the yields from the seeds soaked for 12 and 24 h were not significantly (p > 0.05) different. Longer hypocotyls and shorter roots, which are also desirable characteristics of good sprouts, were also found in the sprouts with 12 h of seed soaking. The amounts of total minerals, thiamine, total free amino acids, and total phenols and DPPH radical scavenging potential of sprouts of all cultivars were higher than those of their seeds. This study showed that higher yield and better quality of red bean sprouts could be obtained with the seeds soaked for 12 h.
KeywordsAntioxidant activity Nutritional value Presoaking time Red bean sprout Sprout yield
This study was supported by the Research Fund, 2017 of Kyungpook National University, Daegu, Korea.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- Jeong YS, Dhakal KH, Lee JD, Hwang YH. Selection of superior lines based on the practical and useful characteristics in Korean indigenous soy sprout germplasm. Korean J. Breed. Sci. 39: 20-26 (2007)Google Scholar
- Manzo L, Locatelli C, Candura SM, Costa LG. Nutrition and alcohol neurotoxicity. Neurotoxicology 15: 555-565 (1994)Google Scholar
- Plaza L, de Ancos B, Cano PM. Nutritional and health-related compounds in sprouts and seeds of soybean (Glycine max), wheat (Triticum aestivum. L) and alfalfa (Medicago sativa) treated by a new drying method. Eur. Food Res. Technol. 216: 138-144 (2003)Google Scholar
- Singleton VL, Orthofer R, Lamuela-Ravents RM. Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of folin-ciocalteu reagent. Vol. 299, pp. 152-178. In: Methods in Enzymology. Packer L (ed.). Academic Press, Cambridge, MA, USA (1999)Google Scholar
- Skujins S. Handbook for ICP-AES (Varıan-Vista). A short guıde to Vista Series ICP-AES operation. Varian Int. AGşZug. Version 1.0. Switzerland (1998)Google Scholar