Combination of mineral trioxide aggregate and propolis promotes odontoblastic differentiation of human dental pulp stem cells through ERK signaling pathway
- 74 Downloads
The aim of this study is to investigate combined effects of mineral trioxide aggregate (MTA) and propolis on odontoblastic differentiation of human dental pulp stem cells (DPSCs) and to find a signaling pathway involved. Combination of MTA and propolis significantly up-regulated the expression of DSPP and DMP1, and facilitated a mineral nodule formation (p < 0.05). Treatments with MTA, propolis or combined increased the phosphorylation of extracellular signal-regulated kinases (ERK), one of mitogen-activated protein kinases signaling cascades during odontogenic differentiation of DPSCs (p < 0.05), and U0126, an inhibitor of ERK, decreased calcium deposits (p < 0.05). Combination of MTA and propolis promotes odontogenic differentiation and mineralization of DPSCs through ERK pathway.
KeywordsERK signaling Human dental pulp cells Mineral trioxide aggregate Odontoblastic differentiation Propolis
This research was supported by a Grant (HCRI 16919-1) from Chonnam National University Hwasun Hospital Institute for Biomedical Science.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors report no conflict of interest related to this study.
- Ang ES, Pavlos NJ, Chai LY, Qi M, Cheng TS, Steer JH, Joyce DA, Zheng MH, Xu I. Caffeic acid phenethyl ester, an active component of honeybee propolis attenuates osteoclastogenesis and bone resorption via the suppression of RANKL-induced NF-kappaB and NFAT activity. J. Cell Physiol. 221: 642–649 (2009)PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Greenblatt MB, Shim JH, Zou W, Sitara D, Schweitzer M, Hu D, Lotinun S, Sano Y, Baron R, Park JM, Arthur S, Xie M, Schneider MD, Zhai B, Gygi S, Davis R, Glimcher LH. The p38 MAPK pathway is essential for skeletogenesis and bone homeostasis in mice. J. Clin. Invest. 120(7): 2457–2473 (2010)PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Marcucci MC. Propolis: chemical composition, biological properties and therapeutic activity. Apidologie. 26: 83–99 (1995)Google Scholar
- Raoof M, Yaghoobi MM, Derakhshani A, Kamal-Abadi AM, Ebrahimi B, Abbasnejad M, Shokouhinejad N. A modified efficient method for dental pulp stem cell isolation. Dent. Res. J. (Isfahan). 11: 244–250 (2014)Google Scholar
- Scheller S, Ilewicz L, Luciak M, Skrobidurska D, Stojko A, Matuga W. Biological properties and clinical application of propolis. IX. Experimental observation on the influence of ethanol extract of propolis (EEP) on dental pulp regeneration. Arzneimittel-Forschung. 28(2): 289–291 (1978)PubMedGoogle Scholar