Assessment of the microbial diversity of Chinese Tianshan tibicos by single molecule, real-time sequencing technology
- 84 Downloads
Chinese Tianshan tibico grains were collected from the rural area of Tianshan in Xinjiang province, China. Typical tibico grains are known to consist of polysaccharide matrix that embeds a variety of bacteria and yeasts. These grains are widely used in some rural regions to produce a beneficial sugary beverage that is slightly acidic and contains low level of alcohol. This work aimed to characterize the microbiota composition of Chinese Tianshan tibicos using the single molecule, real-time sequencing technology, which is advantageous in generating long reads. Our results revealed that the microbiota mainly comprised of the bacterial species of Lactobacillus hilgardii, Lactococcus raffinolactis, Leuconostoc mesenteroides, Zymomonas mobilis, together with a Guehomyces pullulans-dominating fungal community. The data generated in this work helps identify beneficial microbes in Chinese Tianshan tibico grains.
KeywordsChinese Tianshan tibicos Microbial diversity Single molecule Real-time sequencing technology Leuconostoc mesenteroides Guehomyces pullulans
The authors wish to thank those who provided the tibico samples for use in this study and the National Natural Science Foundation of China for financial support of this research (Grant No. 31571815).
Compliance with ethics standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
Human and animal rights
This paper does not contain any studies with human or animal subject.
- Eid J, Fehr A, Gray J, Luong K, Lyle J, Otto G, Peluso P, Rank D, Baybayan P, Bettman B, Bibillo A, Bjornson K, Chaudhuri B, Christians F, Cicero R, Clark S, Dalal R, Dewinter A, Dixon J, Foquet M, Gaertner A, Hardenbol P, Heiner C, Hester K, Holden D, Kearns G, Kong X, Kuse R, Lacroix Y, Lin S, Lundquist P, Ma C, Marks P, Maxham M, Murphy D, Park I, Pham T, Phillips M, Roy J, Sebra R, Shen G, Sorenson J, Tomaney A, Travers K, Trulson M, Vieceli J, Wegener J, Wu D, Yang A, Zaccarin D, Zhao P, Zhong F, Korlach J, Turner S. Real-time DNA sequencing from single polymerase molecules. Science. 323: 133–138 (2009)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li X, Li J, Li M, Meng X. Screening and functional properties of cholesterol-degrading lactic acid bacteria from Jiangshui. Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao = Acta microbiologica Sinica. 55: 1001–1009 (2015)Google Scholar
- Lick S, Keller M, Bockelmann W, Heller KJ. Optimized DNA extraction method for starter cultures from yoghurt. Milchwissenschaft. 51: 183–186 (1995)Google Scholar
- Yao G, Yu J, Hou Q, Hui W, Liu W, Kwok LY, Menghe B, Sun T, Zhang H, Zhang W. A perspective study of koumiss microbiome by metagenomics analysis based on single-cell amplification technique. Front. Microbiol. 8: 165 (2017)Google Scholar
- Zhang A, Guo E, Qian L, Tang NY, Watt RM, Bartlam M. Purification, crystallization and X-ray crystallographic analysis of a putative exopolyphosphatase from Zymomonas mobilis. Acta Crystallogr. 72: 172–178 (2016)Google Scholar