Inhibitory effects of Orostachys malacophyllus var. iwarenge extracts on reactive oxygen species production and lipid accumulation during 3T3-L1 adipocyte differentiation
Orostachys malacophyllus var. iwarenge was extracted with water, 30 and 70% ethyl alcohol. The ethyl alcohol extracts showed higher total phenol contents and greater antioxidant effects than the water extract. Treatment with the 70% alcohol extract inhibited reactive oxygen species (ROS) production and lipid accumulation during 3T3-L1 adipogenesis. Furthermore, the 70% extract inhibited the mRNA and protein expressions of the pro-oxidant enzyme NADPH oxidase 4 and of the NADPH-producing enzyme glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase. The mRNA and protein expressions of antioxidant enzymes, such as copper-zinc superoxide dismutase and manganese superoxide dismutase increased in cells treated with the 70% alcohol extract. In addition, this extract suppressed the mRNA and protein levels of adipogenic transcription factors and of their marker genes. These results indicate that O. malacophyllus extracts inhibit lipid accumulation and ROS production by controlling adipogenic factors and pro-/anti-oxidant enzyme responses.
KeywordsOrostachys malacophyllus Antioxidant 3T3-L1 cells Reactive oxygen species Adipocyte differentiation
This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) Grant funded by the Korea Government (No. 2016R1A2B4014740).
- Adachi T, Toishi T, Wu H, Kamiya T, Hara H. 2009. Expression of extracellular superoxide dismutase during adipose differentiation in 3T3-L1 cells. Redox Rep. 14: 34–40 (2009)Google Scholar
- Calzadilla P, Sapochnik D, Cosentino S, Diz V, Dicelio L, Calvo JC, Guerra LN. 2011. N-Acetylcysteine reduces makers of differentiation in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 12: 6936–6951 (2011)Google Scholar
- Park HJ, Han SY, Kun YP, Sook HR, Hae YC, Jae SC. 1991. Flavonoids from the whole plants of Orostachys japonicus. Arch. Pharm. Res. 14: 167–171 (2007)Google Scholar
- Singleton VL, Rossi JA. Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents. Am. J. Enol. Vitic. 16: 144–158 (1965)Google Scholar
- Westcott ND, Muir AD. Process for extracting lignans from flaxeed. United States Patent, 5, 705. 618 (1998)Google Scholar