Physical properties of muffins sweetened with steviol glycosides as the sucrose replacement
- 214 Downloads
Overconsumption of sweets contributes to increasing obesity among children and adults. Functional food brings an opportunity to improve nutritional value of commonly eaten products, e.g., pastry products. New trends in the food industry tend to produce low-calorie products by replacing sugar or fat with additives having pro-health benefits. The aim of this study was to determine the effect of replacing sucrose with steviol glycosides (natural non-caloric sweetener) on the quality properties of bakery products. The analysis of muffin’s texture, color, cooking yield, browning index, and sensory analysis were performed. The study showed that a 25% addition of steviol sweetener (as a sucrose replacement) was the most appropriate modification of the basic formula. The resulting muffins gained sensory attractiveness and health-promoting qualities. Moreover, the study showed that a reduction of sucrose in excess of 50% had a negative impact on the quality of muffins and their sensory profiles.
Keywordssteviol glycosides functional food muffins texture profile analysis color
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Bartrina JA, Rodrigo CP. The relationship between sucrose consumption and cancer; A review of the evidence. Nutr. Hosp. 28: 95–105 (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Madan S, Ahmad S, Singh GN, Kohli K, Kumar Y, Singh R, Garg M. Stevia rebaudiana (Bert.) Bertoni-A Review. Indian J. Nat. Prod. Resour. 1: 267–286 (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.European Commission 12.11.2011. Off. J. Eur. Union. 2011: 205–211 (2011)Google Scholar
- 22.NORM ISO. Sensory analysis: General guidance for the design of test rooms. (1988)Google Scholar
- 23.Polska Norma P 4121: 1998. Anal. sensoryczna–Metodologia–Ocena produktów Zywn. przy uzyciu Metod skalowania [Polish Stand. PN-ISO 4121 19-98. Sens. Anal. Methodol. Eval. Foodst. by using calibration methods] [in Polish]Google Scholar
- 24.Norma P PN–ISO 6658 Analiza sensoryczna. Metodol. Wytyczne ogólne. [Polish Stand. PN-ISO 6658. Sens. Anal. General guidelines] [in Polish]Google Scholar
- 25.Póltorak A, Wyrwisz J, Moczkowska M, Marcinkowska-Lesiak M, Stelmasiak A, Ulanicka U, Zalewska M, Wierzbicka A, Sun DW. Correlation between instrumental texture and colour quality attributes with sensory analysis of selected cheeses as affected by fat contents. Int. J. Food Sci. Tech. 50: 999–1008 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar