Antioxidant activities and quality characteristics of omija (Schizandra chinesis Baillon) cookies
- 190 Downloads
Omija fruit was included in cookie formulations and antioxidant properties and quality characteristics of omija cookies were determined. Five different cookie types were prepared using 0, 1.5, 3.0, 4.5, and 5.0% omija extract addition. Quality characteristics of cookie dough and cookies were determined, followed by antioxidant activity measurements. Consumer acceptability of the 5 cookie types was evaluated. The quality characteristics of the cookie types varied to differing degrees. However, differences did not impact consumer acceptance for omija cookie products. The antioxidant properties of omija cookies were correlated with the amount of omija extract added to cookie formulations. Addition of 1.5% omija extract to a cookie formula can increase antioxidant benefits without affecting consumer likings. This cookie recipe can be directly applied to value-added product development.
Keywordsomija cookie antioxidant consumer acceptance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sloan AE. Top ten food trends. Food Technol. 67: 24–40, (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Kim JS, Choi SY. Quality characteristics of soybean curd with omija extract. Korean J. Food Nutr. 21: 43–50, (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Cho YJ, Ju IS, Kim BC, Lee WS, Kim MJ, Lee BG, An BJ, Kim JH, Kwon OJ. Biological activity of omija (Schizandra chinensis Baillon) extracts. J. Korean Soc. Appl. Biol. Chem. 50: 198–203, (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Park JH, Kim DH, Mun HC, Lee HJ, Seo SM, Park KH, Ryn LH, Park JI, Lee HY. Comparison of immuno-stimulatory activities by purification process of Schizandra chinensis Baillon fruits. Korean J. Med. Crop Sci. 12: 141–148, (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Kim SR, Kim MR. Inhitition of foodborne pathogens and spoilage bacteria and their structural changes by ethanol extract of Schizandra chinensis Baillon. J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life 22: 109–119, (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Park LY, Lee SH, Kim SJ. Preparation and sensory characteristics of bread containing Schizandra chinensis Baillon (a traditional Korean medicinal plant). Korean J. Food Preserv. 17: 637–643, (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Lee JH. Quality of sikhe incorporated with hot water extract of omija (Schisandra chinensis Ballon) fruit. Food Eng. Prog. 15: 80–84, (2011)Google Scholar
- 16.Kim SJ, Rhim JW, Lee LS, Lee JS. Extraction and characteristics of purple sweet potato pigment. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 28: 345–351, (1996)Google Scholar
- 20.Cho HS, Park BH, Kim KH, Kim HA. Antioxidative effect and quality characteristics of cookies made with Sea tangle powder. Korean J. Food Culture 21: 541–549, (2006)Google Scholar
- 23.Lee JA, Park GS, Ahn SH. Comparative of physicochemical and sensory quality characteristics of cookies added with barleys and oatmeals. Korean J. Food Cook. Sci. 18: 238–246, (2002)Google Scholar