Inhibitory effect of ginsenosides from ginseng leaves and flowers on the LPS-stimulated IL-12 production in bone marrow-derived dendritic cells
- 102 Downloads
Ginseng leaves and flowers have been known to be rich in various ginsenosides. The aim of present study is to screen the effect of 34 ginsenosides from ginseng leaves and flowers on interlukin (IL)-12 production in bone marrow-derived dendritic cells induced by lipopolysaccharide (LPS). Noticeably, floralginsenoside Kc (5), floralginsenoside J (26), and ginsenoside I (33) exhibited particularly inhibitory effect on LPS-induced IL-12 production with IC50 values of 16.3, 25.8, and 6.7 μM, respectively. In addition, floralginsenoside Kc (5) suppressed significantly LPS-stimulated IL-6 and tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) production. These results warrant further studies concerning potential of saponin extracts of Panax ginseng leaves and flowers for medicinal foods.
Keywordsinterleukin-12 Panax ginseng ginsenoside bone marrow-derived dendritic cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Yun TK. Brief introduction of Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer. J. Korean Med. Sci. 16: S3–S5 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Shibata S. Chemistry and cancer preventing activities of ginseng saponins and some related triterpenoid compounds. J. Korean Med. Sci. 16: 28–37 (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Wolf SF, Temple PA, Kobayashi M, Young D, Dicig M, Lowe L, Dzialo R, Fitz L, Ferenz C, Hewick RM, Kelleher K, Herrmann SH, Clark SC, Azzoni L, Cha SH, Trinchieri G, Perussia B. Cloning of cDNA for natural killer cell stimulatory factor, a heterodimeric cytokine with multiple biologic effects on T and natural killer cells. J. Immunol. 146: 3074–3081 (1991)Google Scholar
- 14.Murphy TL, Cleveland MG, Kulesza P, Magram J, Murphy KM. Regulation of interleukin 12 p40 expression through an NF-kB half-site. Mol. Cell. Biol. 15: 5258–5267 (1995)Google Scholar
- 16.Plevy SE, Gemberling JH, Hsu S, Dorner AJ, Smale ST. Multiple control elements mediate activation of the murine and human interleukin 12 p40 promoters: Evidence of functional synergy between C/EBP and Rel proteins. Mol. Cell. Biol. 17: 4572–4588 (1997)Google Scholar