Rheumatoid arthritis and neurodegenerative dementia: a nested case-control study and a follow-up study using a national sample cohort
The present study evaluated the associations between rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and neurodegenerative dementia using a Korean national sample cohort.
We designed two studies using the Korean National Health Insurance Service-National Sample Cohort from 2002 to 2013. Study I included participants with dementia matched 1:4 with controls and analyzed the participants’ history of RA. Study II included participants with RA matched 1:4 with controls and analyzed the occurrence of dementia. RA was defined by the presence of relevant ICD-10 codes (M05 or M06) and medication histories. Neurodegenerative dementia was defined using ICD-10 codes (G30 or F00). Crude and adjusted odds ratios (ORs) were analyzed using conditional logistic regression analyses. Crude and adjusted hazard ratios (HRs) were analyzed using the stratified Cox proportional hazard model. Subgroup analyses were performed on groups stratified by age and sex.
The adjusted ORs for RA were 0.96 (95% CI = 0.78–1.16, P = 0.644) in the dementia group in study I. The adjusted HRs for dementia were 0.91 (95% CI = 0.76–1.10, P = 0.319) in the RA group in study II. No subgroup analysis reached the statistical significance level.
• Two studies were conducted to identify the relationship between rheumatoid arthritis and dementia using national cohort data.
• Neither study showed any association between rheumatoid arthritis and dementia.
KeywordsCohort study Dementia Inflammation Korean population Rheumatoid arthritis
The manuscript was edited for English language, grammar, punctuation, spelling, and overall style by the highly qualified native English-speaking editors at American Journal Experts (6619-3130-000E-B743-046P).
This work was supported in part by a research grant (NRF-2018-R1D1A1A02085328) from the National Research Foundation (NRF) of Korea and Hallym Research Fund (HURF-2018-53).
Compliance with ethical standards
The ethics committee of Hallym University (2014-I148) approved the use of the data. The need for written informed consent was waived by the Institutional Review Board.
- 3.Park NG, Kim WK, Shin DH, Choi YM, Lee YJ, Lee EB, Kim HA, Kim YK, Park BJ, Hong SC (2003) Prevalence of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis in two communities in Korea. J Korean Rheum Assoc 10(2):151–157Google Scholar
- 7.Dougados M, Soubrier M, Antunez A, Balint P, Balsa A, Buch MH, Casado G, Detert J, El-Zorkany B, Emery P, Hajjaj-Hassouni N, Harigai M, Luo SF, Kurucz R, Maciel G, Mola EM, Montecucco CM, McInnes I, Radner H, Smolen JS, Song YW, Vonkeman HE, Winthrop K, Kay J (2014) Prevalence of comorbidities in rheumatoid arthritis and evaluation of their monitoring: results of an international, cross-sectional study (COMORA). Ann Rheum Dis 73(1):62–68. https://doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2013-204223 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Cai Q, Xin Z, Zuo L, Li F, Liu B (2018) Alzheimer’s disease and rheumatoid arthritis: a Mendelian randomization study. Front Neurosci 12:627. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnins.2018.00627
- 21.Judge A, Garriga C, Arden NK, Lovestone S, Prieto-Alhambra D, Cooper C, Edwards CJ (2017) Protective effect of antirheumatic drugs on dementia in rheumatoid arthritis patients. Alzheimers Dement 3(4):612–621Google Scholar
- 22.Lee J, Lee JS, Park SH, Shin SA, Kim K (2016) Cohort profile: the National Health Insurance Service-National Sample Cohort (NHIS-NSC). South Korea Int J Epidemiol:dyv319. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyv319
- 25.Heneka MT, Nadrigny F, Regen T, Martinez-Hernandez A, Dumitrescu-Ozimek L, Terwel D, Jardanhazi-Kurutz D, Walter J, Kirchhoff F, Hanisch U-K (2010) Locus ceruleus controls Alzheimer’s disease pathology by modulating microglial functions through norepinephrine. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107(13):6058–6063CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Huang KL, Yeh CC, Wu SI, Huang KY, Yang YH, Kuo TY, Liang HY, Lee YC, McIntyre RS, Lee Y, Weng JC, Chen VC (2019) Risk of dementia among individuals with psoriasis: a nationwide population-based cohort study in Taiwan. J Clin Psychiatry 80(3). https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.18m12462
- 34.Sparks JA, Barbhaiya M, Karlson EW, Ritter SY, Raychaudhuri S, Corrigan CC, Lu F, Selhub J, Chasman DI, Paynter NP, Ridker PM, Solomon DH (2017) Investigating methotrexate toxicity within a randomized double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial: Rationale and design of the Cardiovascular Rationale and design of the Cardiovascular. Semin Arthritis Rheum 47(1):133-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semarthrit.2017.02.003 CrossRefGoogle Scholar