The comparison of visfatin levels of gingival crevicular fluid in systemic lupus erythematosus and chronic periodontitis patients with healthy subjects
Visfatin is an adipokine and has a crucial role in pro-inflammatory response. The aim of this study was investigating the visfatin levels of gingival crevicular fluid (GCF) in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and chronic periodontitis and healthy subjects.
Materials and methods
Sixty non-obese females were selected based on their clinical parameters into four groups: 15 healthy subjects (H-H), 15 systemically healthy individuals with chronic periodontitis (H-CP), 15 SLE patient with CP (SLE-CP), and 15 SLE patients without CP (SLE-H). GCF samples were collected to estimate the levels of visfatin using enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA).
Investigating the amount of visfatin in the GCF showed that there is a significant difference between visfatin amount of GCF in SLE patients and chronic periodontitis (L-CP) in comparison with other groups (P < 0.001).
• Visfatin in systemic lupus erythematosus
KeywordsChronic periodontitis Gingival crevicular fluid Systemic lupus erythematosus Visfatin
This study was a part of the dentistry thesis that was funded by Arak University of Medical Sciences.
Compliance with ethical standards
Written informed consent was obtained from those who agreed to participate voluntarily. The protocol of the study was approved by the Ethics Committee of Arak University of Medical Sciences (No. IR.ARAKMU.REC.1397.31).
- 4.Ali A, Sayyed Z, Ameer MA, Arif AW, Kiran F, Iftikhar A, Iftikhar W, Ahmad MQ, Malik MB, Kumar V, Dass A, Sami SA, Sapna F, Waqas N (2018) Systemic lupus erythematosus: an overview of the disease pathology and its management. Cureus 10(9):e3288. https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.3288 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 7.Akbarian M, Faezi ST, Gharibdoost F, Shahram F, Nadji A, Jamshidi AR, Akhlaghi M, Shafaie N, Akhlaghkhah M, Davatchi F (2010) Systemic lupus erythematosus in Iran: a study of 2280 patients over 33 years. Int J Rheum Dis 13(4):374–379. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1756-185X.2010.01547.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Marques CP, Victor EC, Franco MM, Fernandes JM, Maor Y, de Andrade MS, Rodrigues VP, Benatti BB (2016) Salivary levels of inflammatory cytokines and their association to periodontal disease in systemic lupus erythematosus patients. A case-control study. Cytokine 85:165–170. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cyto.2016.06.025 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Tsiklauri L, Werner J, Kampschulte M, Frommer KW, Berninger L, Irrgang M, Glenske K, Hose D, El Khassawna T, Pons-Kuhnemann J, Rehart S, Wenisch S, Muller-Ladner U, Neumann E (2018) Visfatin alters the cytokine and matrix-degrading enzyme profile during osteogenic and adipogenic MSC differentiation. Osteoarthr Cartil 26(9):1225–1235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2018.06.001 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Wu MH, Tsai CH, Huang YL (2018) Visfatin promotes IL-6 and TNF-alpha production in human synovial fibroblasts by repressing miR-199a-5p through ERK, p38 and JNK signaling. Pathways. 19(1). https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms19010190
- 15.Low ESH, Krishnaswamy G, Thumboo J (2019) Comparing the 1997 update of the 1982 American College of Rheumatology (ACR-97) and the 2012 Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics (SLICC-12) criteria for systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) classification: which enables earlier classification of SLE in an urban Asian population? Lupus 28(1):11–18. https://doi.org/10.1177/0961203318811599 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Touma Z, Urowitz MB, Taghavi-Zadeh S, Ibanez D, Gladman DD (2012) Systemic lupus erythematosus disease activity Index 2000 Responder Index 50: sensitivity to response at 6 and 12 months. Rheumatology (Oxford, England) 51(10):1814–1819. https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/kes146 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Orlandi M, Guinto J, Bakshi J, Cotton A, Wilton J, Bernstein B, D’Aiuto F, Ciurtin C (2018) Prevalence of periodontitis in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus. Rheumatology 57(3):86–97Google Scholar
- 18.Patnaik K, Pradeep AR, Nagpal K, Karvekar S, Singh P, Raju A (2017) Human chemerin correlation in gingival crevicular fluid and tear fluid as markers of inflammation in chronic periodontitis and type-2 diabetes mellitus. J Investig Clin Dent 8(1). https://doi.org/10.1111/jicd.12181
- 20.Mansour H, Farouk H, Abdulrahman M, El-Azizi N, Lotfy N, Farouk A (2017) THU0272 visfatin in systemic lupus erythematosus patients: an immune metabolic interplay. Ann Rheum Dis 76:307Google Scholar
- 21.Ghallab NA, Amr EM, Shaker OG (2015) Expression of leptin and visfatin in gingival tissues of chronic periodontitis with and without type 2 diabetes mellitus: a study using enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and real-time polymerase chain reaction. J Periodontol 86(7):882–889. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2015.140434 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar