Sirt1 inhibits gouty arthritis via activating PPARγ
- 122 Downloads
To identify the effects of Sirtuin 1 (Sirt1) on gouty arthritis and investigate the underlying mechanisms.
A gouty arthritis model was established by intra-articular injection of monosodium urate (MSU, 1 mg) crystal solution into the left foot pad of C57BL/6 mice. After pretreating the gouty arthritis mice with intra-articular injection of Sirt1 agonist (Resveratrol, RSV, 20 mg/kg) or peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ (PPARγ) inhibitor (T0070907, 1 mg/kg), the degree of joint inflammation of the gouty arthritis mice was evaluated by clinical integration of joint inflammation and hematoxylin and eosin (H&E) staining. The mRNA expression of Sirt1 and PPARγ were determined by real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR). The expression profiling of inflammatory cytokines and chemokines in mouse joint tissues were determined by multi-factor assay kits. Peritoneal macrophages were isolated from mice and tested the effects of RSV and/or PPARγ on pro-inflammatory cytokines secretion by PCR.
Sirt1 agonist significantly suppressed the onset of gouty arthritis induced by MSU and reduced the infiltration of inflammatory cells in the joints. Sirt1 agonist significantly promoted the expression of PPARγ, while decreased the expression of interleukin (IL)-1β, IL-1α, IL-6, interferon-γ (IFN-γ), monocyte chemotactic protein 1(MCP-1), tumor necrosis factor a (TNF-α), and chemokines (CXCL-1, CXCL-5, CCL-22) induced by MSU in joint tissues. After blocking PPARγ with T0070907 or by siRNA, the anti-inflammatory effect of Sirt1 agonist on gouty arthritis disappeared and the expression of pro-inflammatory molecules were not significantly reduced.
• Sirt1 and its activator, RSV, attenuate the severity of gouty arthritis in mice.
• Sirt1 inhibits the infiltration of inflammatory cells and the secretion of pro-inflammatory molecules in MSU-induced arthritis.
• Sirt1 inhibits inflammation partially dependent on PPARγ.
KeywordsGouty arthritis PPARγ Sirt1
Compliance with ethical standards
All the animal procedures were approved by the ethics committee of the Animal Experiments Committee of Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
- 4.Matsukawa A, Yoshimura T, Maeda T, Takahashi T, Ohkawara S, Yoshinaga M (1998) Analysis of the cytokine network among tumor necrosis factor alpha, interleukin-1beta, interleukin-8, and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist in monosodium urate crystal-induced rabbit arthritis. Lab Investig 78(5):559–569PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.di Giovine FS, Malawista SE, Thornton E, Duff GW (1991) Urate crystals stimulate production of tumor necrosis factor alpha from human blood monocytes and synovial cells. Cytokine mRNA and protein kinetics, and cellular distribution. J Clin Invest 87(4):1375–1381. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI115142 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 7.Chen H, Zheng S, Wang Y, Zhu H, Liu Q, Xue Y, Qiu J, Zou H, Zhu X (2014) The effect of resveratrol on the recurrent attacks of gouty arthritis. Clin Rheumatol. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10067-014-2826-5
- 15.Orlowsky EW, Stabler TV, Montell E, Verges J, Kraus VB (2014) Monosodium urate crystal induced macrophage inflammation is attenuated by chondroitin sulphate: pre-clinical model for gout prophylaxis? BMC Musculoskelet Disord 15:318. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-15-318 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 18.Akahoshi T, Namai R, Murakami Y, Watanabe M, Matsui T, Nishimura A, Kitasato H, Kameya T, Kondo H (2003) Rapid induction of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma expression in human monocytes by monosodium urate monohydrate crystals. Arthritis Rheum 48(1):231–239. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.10709 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Picard F, Kurtev M, Chung N, Topark-Ngarm A, Senawong T, Machado De Oliveira R, Leid M, McBurney MW, Guarente L (2004) Sirt1 promotes fat mobilization in white adipocytes by repressing PPAR-gamma. Nature 429(6993):771–776. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature02583 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 23.Lee MF, Liou TH, Wang W, Pan WH, Lee WJ, Hsu CT, Wu SF, Chen HH (2013) Gender, body mass index, and PPARgamma polymorphism are good indicators in hyperuricemia prediction for Han Chinese. Genet Test Mol Biomarkers 17(1):40–46. https://doi.org/10.1089/gtmb.2012.0231 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 24.Ruiz-Miyazawa KW, Staurengo-Ferrari L, Pinho-Ribeiro FA, Fattori V, Zaninelli TH, Badaro-Garcia S, Borghi SM, Andrade KC, Clemente-Napimoga JT, Alves-Filho JC, Cunha TM, Fraceto LF, Cunha FQ, Napimoga MH, Casagrande R, Verri WA Jr (2018) 15d-PGJ2-loaded nanocapsules ameliorate experimental gout arthritis by reducing pain and inflammation in a PPAR-gamma-sensitive manner in mice. Sci Rep 8(1):13979. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-32334-0 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 27.Tani Y, Isobe Y, Imoto Y, Segi-Nishida E, Sugimoto Y, Arai H, Arita M (2014) Eosinophils control the resolution of inflammation and draining lymph node hypertrophy through the proresolving mediators and CXCL13 pathway in mice. FASEB J 28(9):4036–4043. https://doi.org/10.1096/fj.14-251132 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar