Evaluation of carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity, aortic stiffness index, and aortic distensibility in patients with fibromyalgia
- 61 Downloads
The aim of this study was to compare the carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity (CFPWV), aortic stiffness index (ASI), and aortic distensibility values of fibromyalgia patients with those of healthy subjects.
This study was conducted as a case-control study between September 2017 and March 2018. Echocardiographic evaluations were administered by the same cardiologist. ASI, aortic distensibility, CFPWV, and other echocardiographic parameters of fibromyalgia patients and healthy subjects were compared. In addition, all patients were assessed using the Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ), number of tender points, and Visual Analogue Scale (VAS) pain score.
The fibromyalgia group consisted of 67 female patients with a mean age of 48.54 ± 3.1 years (range, 42–55 years) and the control group consisted of 50 healthy subjects with a mean age of 49.76 ± 3.1 years (range, 42–55 years). No significant difference was observed between the groups in respect of age and body mass index (p > 0.05). CFPWV and ASI values were significantly higher in the fibromyalgia group than in the control group. Aortic distensibility values were significantly lower in the fibromyalgia group compared to the control group (p < 0.05 for all). There was a very strong, positive correlation between the CFPWV values and number of tender points (r = 0.936, p < 0.001), VAS (r = 0.927, p < 0.001), FIQ (r = 0.941, p < 0.001), and ASI (r = 0.957, p < 0.001).
CFPWV and aortic stiffness seem to be increased and aortic distensibility seems to be decreased in patients with fibromyalgia. Alleviating pain and improving the disease severity may be helpful in preventing cardiovascular risk factors in patients with fibromyalgia.
KeywordsAortic stiffness Coronary heart disease Fibromyalgia Pulse wave velocity
E.E.G: study design, acquisition of data, writing and drafting the manuscript, and final approval; guarantor of the study
H.A.: study design, acquisition of data, writing and drafting the manuscript, and final approval
T.E.: study design, statistical analyses, writing and drafting the manuscript, and final approval
Compliance with ethical standards
- 1.Wolfe F, Clauw DJ, Fitzcharles MA, Goldenberg DL, Katz RS, Mease P, Russell AS, Russell IJ, Winfield JB, Yunus MB (2010) The American College of Rheumatology preliminary diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia and measurement of symptom severity. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 62:600–610. https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.20140 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Redheuil A, Yu WC, Wu CO, Mousseaux E, de Cesare A, Yan R, Kachenoura N, Bluemke D, Lima JAC (2010) Reduced ascending aortic strain and distensibility: earliest manifestations of vascular aging in humans. Hypertension 55:319–326. https://doi.org/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.109.141275 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Triantafyllias K, Stortz M, de Blasi M, Leistner C, Weinmann-Menke J et al (2017) Increased aortic stiffness in patients with fibromyalgia: results of a prospective study on carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity. Clin Exp Rheumatol. https://www.clinexprheumatol.org/abstract.asp?a=12056
- 7.Kim SK, Kim KS, Lee YS, Park SH, Choe JY (2010) Arterial stiffness and proinflammatory cytokines in fibromyalgia syndrome. Clin Exp Rheumatol 28(6 Suppl 63):S71–S77Google Scholar
- 9.Wolfe F, Smythe HA, Yunus MB, Bennett RM, Bombardier C, Goldenberg DL, Tugwell P, Campbell SM, Abeles M, Clark P, Fam AG, Farber SJ, Fiechtner JJ, Michael Franklin C, Gatter RA, Hamaty D, Lessard J, Lichtbroun AS, Masi AT, Mccain GA, John Reynolds W, Romano TJ, Jon Russell I, Sheon RP (1990) The American College of Rheumatology 1990 criteria for the classification of fibromyalgia. Report of the multicenter criteria committee. Arthritis Rheum 33:160–172CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Bennett R (2005) The Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ): a review of its development, current version, operating characteristics and uses. Clin Exp Rheumatol 23:154–162Google Scholar
- 14.Cicek Y, Durakoglugil ME, Kocaman SA, Guveli H, Cetin M, Erdogan T, Sahin I, Dogan S, Canga A (2012) Increased pulse wave velocity in patients with panic disorder: independent vascular influence of panic disorder on arterial stiffness. J Psychosom Res 73:145–148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2012.05.012 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Şatiroğlu Ö, Bostan M, Bayar N, Çiçek Y, Cetin M et al (2016) Relation between aortic stiffness and extension of coronary artery disease. Turk J Med Sci 42:417–424Google Scholar
- 17.Townsend RR, Wilkinson IB, Schiffrin EL, Avolio AP, Chirinos JA, Cockcroft JR, Heffernan KS, Lakatta EG, McEniery C, Mitchell GF, Najjar SS, Nichols WW, Urbina EM, Weber T, American Heart Association Council on Hypertension (2016) Recommendations for improving and standardizing vascular research on arterial stiffness: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Hypertension 66:698–722. https://doi.org/10.1161/HYP.0000000000000033 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Ozcan O, Sezgin Ozcan D, Candemir B, Aras M, Koseoglu B, Erol C (2016) Evaluation of aortic elastic properties in patients with fibromyalgia. Int Angiol 35:84–89Google Scholar