Microarray expression profile of circular RNAs and mRNAs in children with systemic lupus erythematosus
- 43 Downloads
Recently, it was reported that circular RNAs (circRNAs) play the crucial role in many physiological and biological processes and can be used as biomarkers. However, the information about circRNAs in children with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is limited. The aim of this study is to determine the expression of circRNAs in children with SLE and investigate the significance of circRNA for diagnosing SLE.
Microarray profile of circRNAs and mRNAs was performed for identifying the changes in expression of circRNAs and mRNAs between children with SLE and healthy children. Quantitative polymerase chain reaction (qPCR) was used to confirm the results. Spearman correlation test was performed to assess the correlation between circRNAs and clinical variables. The receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve was calculated for evaluating the diagnostic value.
A comparison between the children with SLE and healthy children revealed that 348 circRNAs and 1162 mRNAs were expressed differentially. The authors constructed a complex circRNA target network consisting of 307 matched circRNA-mRNA pairs for 124 differentially expressed circRNAs (74 circRNAs were upregulated, and 50 circRNAs were downregulated) and 142 differentially expressed mRNAs (83 mRNAs were upregulated, and 59 mRNAs were downregulated) by using gene co-expression network analysis. The competing for endogenous RNA (ceRNA) network includes 42 differentially expressed circRNAs, 41 differentially expressed mRNAs, and 71 predicted miRNAs. Among these SLE patients, we detected that the hsa_circ_0021372 and hsa_circ_0075699 levels are associated with C3 and C4 levels in children with SLE. The hsa_circ_0057762 level is positively associated with the SLEDAI-2K score. The ROC curves of circRNAs showed that the levels of hsa_circ_0057762 (AUC 0.804, 95% CI 0.607–1.0, P = 0.02) and hsa_circ_0003090 (AUC 0.848, 95% CI 0.688–1.0, P = 0.008) could differentiate the patients with SLE from the healthy controls.
We firstly characterized the expression profiles of circRNA and mRNA in children with SLE and propose herein their possible roles in the pathogenesis of SLE. These results provide novel insight into the mechanisms of SLE pathogenesis, and circRNAs may serve as useful biomarkers for SLE.
KeywordsChildren circRNA Systemic lupus erythematosus
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (81701604), Beijing Talents Fund (2015000021469G207), Beijing Children’s Hospital Young Investigator (BCHYIPA-2016-14), and Beijing Natural Science Foundation Program and Scientific Research Key Program of Beijing Municipal Commission of Education (KZ201710025019).
Compliance with ethical standards
- 2.Qu B, Cao J, Zhang F, Cui H, Teng J, Li J, Liu Z, Morehouse C, Jallal B, Tang Y, Guo Q, Yao Y, Shen N (2015) Type I interferon inhibition of microRNA-146a maturation through up-regulation of monocyte chemotactic protein-induced protein 1 in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheumatol 67(12):3209–3218. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.39398 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Xie H, Ren X, Xin S, Lan X, Lu G, Lin Y, Yang S, Zeng Z, Liao W, Ding YQ, Liang L (2016) Emerging roles of circRNA_001569 targeting miR-145 in the proliferation and invasion of colorectal cancer. Oncotarget 7(18):26680–26691. https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.8589 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 8.Li LJ, Zhu ZW, Zhao W, Tao SS, Li BZ, Xu SZ, Wang JB, Zhang MY, Wu J, Leng RX, Fan YG, Pan HF, Ye DQ (2018) Circular RNA expression profile and potential function of hsa_circ_0045272 in systemic lupus erythematosus. Immunology 155(1):137–149. https://doi.org/10.1111/imm.12940 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Li H, Li K, Lai W, Li X, Wang H, Yang J, Chu S, Wang H, Kang C, Qiu Y (2018) Comprehensive circular RNA profiles in plasma reveals that circular RNAs can be used as novel biomarkers for systemic lupus erythematosus. Clin Chim Acta 480:17–25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cca.2018.01.026 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Zhang MY, Wang JB, Zhu ZW, Li LJ, Liu RS, Yang XK, Leng RX, Li XM, Pan HF, Ye DQ (2018) Differentially expressed circular RNAs in systemic lupus erythematosus and their clinical significance. Biomed Pharmacother 107:1720–1727. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2018.08.161 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Memczak S, Jens M, Elefsinioti A, Torti F, Krueger J, Rybak A, Maier L, Mackowiak SD, Gregersen LH, Munschauer M, Loewer A, Ziebold U, Landthaler M, Kocks C, le Noble F, Rajewsky N (2013) Circular RNAs are a large class of animal RNAs with regulatory potency. Nature 495(7441):333–338. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature11928 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 20.Li Z, Huang C, Bao C, Chen L, Lin M, Wang X, Zhong G, Yu B, Hu W, Dai L, Zhu P, Chang Z, Wu Q, Zhao Y, Jia Y, Xu P, Liu H, Shan G (2015) Exon-intron circular RNAs regulate transcription in the nucleus. Nat Struct Mol Biol 22(3):256–264. https://doi.org/10.1038/nsmb.2959 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 21.You X, Vlatkovic I, Babic A, Will T, Epstein I, Tushev G, Akbalik G, Wang M, Glock C, Quedenau C, Wang X, Hou J, Liu H, Sun W, Sambandan S, Chen T, Schuman EM, Chen W (2015) Neural circular RNAs are derived from synaptic genes and regulated by development and plasticity. Nat Neurosci 18(4):603–610. https://doi.org/10.1038/nn.3975 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 25.Alanen HI, Williamson RA, Howard MJ, Hatahet FS, Salo KE, Kauppila A, Kellokumpu S, Ruddock LW (2006) ERp27, a new non-catalytic endoplasmic reticulum-located human protein disulfide isomerase family member, interacts with ERp57. J Biol Chem 281(44):33727–33738. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M604314200 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 30.Zhao M, Liu S, Luo S, Wu H, Tang M, Cheng W, Zhang Q, Zhang P, Yu X, Xia Y, Yi N, Gao F, Wang L, Yung S, Chan TM, Sawalha AH, Richardson B, Gershwin ME, Li N, Lu Q (2014) DNA methylation and mRNA and microRNA expression of SLE CD4+ T cells correlate with disease phenotype. J Autoimmun 54:127–136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaut.2014.07.002 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 31.Shi L, Zhang Z, Yu AM, Wang W, Wei Z, Akhter E, Maurer K, Costa Reis P, Song L, Petri M, Sullivan KE (2014) The SLE transcriptome exhibits evidence of chronic endotoxin exposure and has widespread dysregulation of non-coding and coding RNAs. PLoS One 9(5):e93846. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0093846 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 32.Rodriguez-Pla A, Patel P, Maecker HT, Rossello-Urgell J, Baldwin N, Bennett L, Cantrell V, Baisch J, Punaro M, Gotte A, Nassi L, Wright T, Palucka AK, Banchereau J, Pascual V (2014) IFN priming is necessary but not sufficient to turn on a migratory dendritic cell program in lupus monocytes. J Immunol 192(12):5586–5598. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.1301319 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 35.Pan W, Zhu S, Yuan M, Cui H, Wang L, Luo X, Li J, Zhou H, Tang Y, Shen N (2010) MicroRNA-21 and microRNA-148a contribute to DNA hypomethylation in lupus CD4+ T cells by directly and indirectly targeting DNA methyltransferase 1. J Immunol 184(12):6773–6781. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.0904060 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 36.Tang Y, Luo X, Cui H, Ni X, Yuan M, Guo Y, Huang X, Zhou H, de Vries N, Tak PP, Chen S, Shen N (2009) MicroRNA-146A contributes to abnormal activation of the type I interferon pathway in human lupus by targeting the key signaling proteins. Arthritis Rheum 60(4):1065–1075. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.24436 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 37.Zhao X, Tang Y, Qu B, Cui H, Wang S, Wang L, Luo X, Huang X, Li J, Chen S, Shen N (2010) MicroRNA-125a contributes to elevated inflammatory chemokine RANTES levels via targeting KLF13 in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum 62(11):3425–3435. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.27632 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 39.Wu Y, Zhang F, Ma J, Zhang X, Wu L, Qu B, Xia S, Chen S, Tang Y, Shen N (2015) Association of large intergenic noncoding RNA expression with disease activity and organ damage in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Res Ther 17:131. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13075-015-0632-3 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 41.Wu GC, Li J, Leng RX, Li XP, Li XM, Wang DG, Pan HF, Ye DQ (2017) Identification of long non-coding RNAs GAS5, linc0597 and lnc-DC in plasma as novel biomarkers for systemic lupus erythematosus. Oncotarget 8(14):23650–23663. https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.15569 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 44.Shang X, Li G, Liu H, Li T, Liu J, Zhao Q, Wang C (2016) Comprehensive circular RNA profiling reveals that hsa_circ_0005075, a new circular RNA biomarker, is involved in hepatocellular circinoma development. Medicine 95(22):e3811. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000003811 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar